A good afternoon!

Marler19

May 16, 2021
Mum’s care home has been in an outbreak/lockdown since before Xmas, though I can visit as I am her ECG. Today the manager let me take mum out for a walk as a special ‘treat’, first time she has been outside for 4 weeks - and WHAT a difference it made, she was so pleased and chatty and you would think the local very small park had been Kew Gardens. It didn’t bring her back to ‘reality’ or anything like that, and my long-dead father was as usual getting a lot of stick for not having been in touch, but it did make me think we need to hang on to the good times however basic they are!

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
Aww, that’s lovely. I need to be reminded about celebrating the good things - it’s so easy to get bogged down with all the problems. I’m glad you and your Mum enjoyed her walk, in fact I think I’ll follow your example when I visit mine.

Bearz77

Jan 18, 2020
Could I just ask how your mum was when you came to take her back to her care home? My mum has been in a care home send the end of October and we’ve not yet taken her out due to wanting to get her settled then covid lockdown. She is a wanderer and constantly looking for her mum so I am a bit nervous about taking her for a walk and then finding I can’t get her back. I know she’s enjoy the actual walking though.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Many of us can miss out on little gems like yours @Marler10 because we are too nervous to try. Well done.

Marler19

May 16, 2021
Could I just ask how your mum was when you came to take her back to her care home? My mum has been in a care home send the end of October and we’ve not yet taken her out due to wanting to get her settled then covid lockdown. She is a wanderer and constantly looking for her mum so I am a bit nervous about taking her for a walk and then finding I can’t get her back. I know she’s enjoy the actual walking though.
Actually @Bearz77 mum was fine once she realised she was back in her familiar space after the walk, though she didn’t realise that we had gone out and then come back to the same place we started from. I DID think it might be ‘overload’ for her but I think because I was there and it was just a simple walk, we were fine! No distress while we were out, and my mother also often asks for her mother and wonders where she is (the real answer is her mother’s been dead for 53 years but I just say maybe she’s busy ?). Maybe ask the manager at your mum’s home what her opinion is of a walk? And probably start small! Good luck if you do decide to go for it!!!