A few questions Re: COP & OPG

wazzer

Jun 4, 2008
North west England.
I have been my mothers Deputy for the last five years. Over the last twelve months I have sold her property and after payment of an Equity Release loan and a Deferred Payment Scheme with my LA my mum's liquid assets are now under £23000. The LA have done a new Financial Assessment and I have stopped payment of my mum's AA with the Dept of Works and Pensions as the LA are now part funding her Care Home fees.
However, I have just completed my mother's Annual Declaration of her finances for the COP and am wondering will my level of 2A with the COP now be reduced automatically by them or will I have to apply for it or will it stay the same as I am currently paying £320.00 a year for them to check the report.
Also do I have to apply to the OPG to have her Security Bond reduced (as I am currently paying £200 a year for £80000 worth of cover) but is this chargeable for a reduction in the Bond as I have heard this can only be reduced by a new application to the COP.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Best way to get a definitive answer is to ask OPG/COP, they are not going to increase the payments so you have nothing to lose.

wazzer

Jun 4, 2008
North west England.
Thank you for your reply Nitram, but they will be aware of the situation when they check my mothers report that I have submitted. I just wanted to know from the legal experts on this forum as to whether my payments and the level should now reduce by law or is it up to the COP? I am sure they will charge as much as they can but I would rather be forearmed and forewarned by this forum with all the relevant information before I ring or have to ring them. I have had past dealings with the Works and Pensions staff and their knowledge of elderly care issues does not fill me with confidence of dealing with Government Departments but I do appreciate your reply. Thank you.

Early riser

Mar 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Hi, you must ring them when the money drops to £21,000.
Your deputyship fees for the year (April to March) are then worked out from that date.
They should then contact the bond company.
Best wishes.

Last edited:

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27