a few hours of madness

tuffydawn

Mar 30, 2015
having amused oh all day with trips out and walks in wheelchair we returned home at 4.00 and he seemed to get more agitated than normal saying my name dawn repeatedly and then saying he was looking for dawn!!!! trying to go out the house and swearing at me when i explained we couldnt go out again this is a new level of agitaiton and he has never sworn at me before like that i quickly checked him for urine infection but no sign of that he has finally calmed down a bit but what the hell were those few hours about !!!!!!!!!! any one got an answer please

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry your day out was ruined, Tuffydawn. I don't have any good answers, but OH can get a bit like that when she is tired. She also mixes me up with another Robbie, but usually that passes by morning.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Just interested to know - for my own future reference - how do you check someone with dementia for a UTI routinely at home? Or have I misunderstood ?

tuffydawn

Mar 30, 2015
Just interested to know - for my own future reference - how do you check someone with dementia for a UTI routinely at home? Or have I misunderstood ?
Hi I have a urine testing kit and gp showed me how to read it correctly handy thing to have

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
how do you check someone with dementia for a UTI routinely at home?

With something like
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...t=&hvlocphy=9046605&hvtargid=kwd-305966453450

The practise nurse gave me a tub full.

I also had a supply of sample tubs and monovette syringes http://www.gpresourcecentre.org.uk/docs/Urine Monovette Guide.pdf in plastic envelopes so I could put the full syringe in the envelope and having filled in name, DOB, and practise reference on syringe and envelope drop it off at practise.to be sent for culture.

Last edited:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I bought one from Lloyds and it is showed a UTI which the surgery said did not show up on their testing, so not too sure how reliable they are.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Thank you for your answers - now another question in my quest to understand this terrible disease......... why are PWD so prone to UTI? Is it as they become incontinent, or as they are unable to toilet themselves properly, or something I have not imagined??

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Toileting, dehydration (keep flushing the bladder), compromised immune system.

Another point to realise is that scented soaps and foam baths should be avoided, stick with Simple soap or own brand equivalents.

Last edited:

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Hi Tuffydawn,

Read your post last night but was too tired to comment. Similar story for us yesterday. Outing to hospital for xray of my knee, brunch out, then cinema and quick shop. Lots of walking and driving. On reaching home all I wanted was to sit down with iced bun and cup of tea. OH, however, spent next hour putting on outside shoes, coats, hat and wandering. Can only think over stimulated. Just for once I did not rise to the challenge by getting annoyed. Simply tipped one of his dementia jigsaws onto the coffee table. He has never liked untidyness so he started work on it, really aggressively. Then tipped another one out for himself and finished that. These chunky jigsaws, with adult images, are the best aid I have found.

Hope today is better for you.