A&E fun

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Mum had a fall in her Care Home this morning, the third in two months. This time they were worried she might have hurt herself so off she went to hospital where I met her.
At the moment we’re waiting for x rays etc. She has a slight pain in her groin and is very sleepy but otherwise OK for her.
It is obvious how much her dementia has progressed . She can’t really answer questions or understand instructions. I notice that her dose of lorazepam has been increased. This is presumably helping to keep her mood stable, but I guess may well be adding to the confusion.
At least the hospital is a very good one, and all the staff we’ve seen so far have been friendly and good with mum.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The increased dose of lorazepam @Sarasa might possibly be linked to your mother`s fall. It`s a fine line between easing anxiety and lowering stability.

I`m glad you feel confident in the hospital . It`s good news these days.

I hope you don`t have to wait for too long.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I was just thinking the same thing re the lorazepam contributing to the falls.

Having said that, my mother has had several falls at her CH - she had a spate of them in the first year - and she is on no meds at all. She broke her pelvis which was a stable fracture requiring no treatment; and then her hip, for which she had surgery. I think it's just a progression of the disease, she is more wobbly but refuses to use a walking aid.

I hope you don't have to wait too long in A&E @Sarasa, let us know how you get on.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
How stressful for you, @Sarasa. I don't have any experience of lorazepam, but waiting in A & E is hard for carers and harder for someone with dementia, so I hope your mum does not have to wait too long for her x-rays and you can both get home safely soon.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
We’re still going n the midst of tests, cat scan (I think) next. Mum is kicking off big time and demanding to go home to her mum.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I truly sympathise Aged Mother did this at A&E last year - it was me in floods of tears sobbing around a corner that prompted nursing staff sending me home!
OH did go in & sit with her as my guilt was off the scale but it made me realise how much I reacted to each of her barbs & demands !
I hope you are able to slightly detach your self from this as I still struggled , self preservation required!
& chocolate!!
Xxxxxxxxx

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
We are both back at our respective homes. I left mum being made a fuss of by her favourite carer. Lots of tests but no harm done. Mum was very difficult by the end, and we had a struggle to get her in the taxi back.
I hope I don't have to do that for a while, but have a horrible feeling I will.
Certainly spending six hours with her and seeing her interactions with the staff mum has declined loads in the last few months. Very little short term memory, but a total determination to do what she wanted to do, despite it not being very sensible.
I'm totally in awe of the nurses, I couldn't cope with being called a bitch all day long.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Sympathies, horrible experience for you - I am glad she was able to go home, no treatment needed.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
You have my sumpathy too for a hard day, but it is good that there's no harm done and nothing more serious to worry about beyond the dementia. Hopefully, you can now relax and have a quiet night.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
We are both back at our respective homes. I left mum being made a fuss of by her favourite carer. Lots of tests but no harm done. Mum was very difficult by the end, and we had a struggle to get her in the taxi back.
Certainly spending six hours with her and seeing her interactions with the staff mum has declined loads in the last few months. Very little short term memory, but a total determination to do what she wanted to do, despite it not being very sensible.
I'm totally in awe of the nurses, I couldn't cope with being called a bitch all day long.
So still feisty ? Or just other feisty patients?
Hope you have a glass of something ready, & that the week end is quieter x

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Mum is still very feisty @DesperateofDevon !
Yes, I'm well into a bottle of red wine, my drink of choice. I'm off to see my mother in law tomorrow. She also has dementia but is very different to mum. My husband has offered to go alone, but one, I like my mother in law and two, if I'm in the East Midlands no one can ask me to spend the day in A&E with my mum!

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Sorry to read about your mums fall and hard time at a&e, that sounds like a tough day. Glad she wasn't seriously hurt and the carers made a fuss of her when she got back to care home, bet you could have done with someone making a fuss of you afterwards too X Hope the wine helped you relax X

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West

I don't envy you, I had a similar but unsuccessful experience last year after mum had fell at home. We waited some 4 hours to be seen and begin the process, but mum got more and more restless and decided to walk out of the department -no amount of persuasion could get her to stay. Necessary for her but frustrating

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
At least the process was started quickly @Palerider and they were very thorough. I wish they hadn’t erred on the side of caution and had let her go within the hour, as I was pretty sure she was fine. Still I guess it was best to be safe.
Husband is not a great fusser, but he was sympathetic and did bring home ginger cake to cheer me up!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
At least the process was started quickly @Palerider and they were very thorough. I wish they hadn’t erred on the side of caution and had let her go within the hour, as I was pretty sure she was fine. Still I guess it was best to be safe.
Husband is not a great fusser, but he was sympathetic and did bring home ginger cake to cheer me up!

Yes best to be safe than sorry, ya never know if any damage has been done from a fall no matter how trivial it might have seemed. What a lovely OH -ah ginger cake :)

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27