a DVD idea that works

dinkysarah

May 28, 2015
My dad used to love reading and watching films but can no longer concentrate or understand but he always loved the railway and i so bought him a DVD which was a drivers eye view from the cab of a train journey he knew well. The journey only takes about half an hour going from his home station to to another station he knows from his younger days. To most people it's as boring as can be but it's the best thing i ever bought him and he has watched the DVD over and over again, it has no narrative, no music it is simply a realtime recording of the train journey (including going through tunnels! very bizarre!!). Everytime i visit he gets the DVD out to show me and we watch it together. I am now thinking of making a video of my journey to work so that he can see where i go everyday. he can't remember where i work but as i go by train i thought he might enjoy it. Not sure if i am allowed to post links but if anyone wants to know where i bought the dvds from i will post a link

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
What a fantastic idea. Maureen likes nothing better that seeing her granddaughter sing on YouTube. No matter how many times I put it on she always comments that Maeve is on again.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
If you have no commercial or financial interest in the company that makes these films, then it is fine. It is often very helpful to have these links.
Someone posted about Robertsons DVDs, featuring different areas in the UK and I bought a couple - one of our native county of Pembrokeshire and another of Wales. They were lovely to look at together but I wish I'd know about them sooner, when my husband would have been more aware of what he was seeing.
I'm glad this railway trip is so loved by your father.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi Dinkeysarah and welcome to Talking Point.

The DVDs sound great but you won't be able to post a link until you have posted 10 times, it is stated in the terms and conditions.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Sorry, I didn't realise that you were a new member, Sarah, so yes, as Jaymor has said, you will have to post a little longer first but the main thing is that yes, you are allowed to post a link in this instance.
Welcome to TP.:)

dinkysarah

May 28, 2015
Hi Dinkeysarah and welcome to Talking Point.

The DVDs sound great but you won't be able to post a link until you have posted 10 times, it is stated in the terms and conditions.

no problem thanks guys, I'm sure people can find that sort of thing by searching google anyway :) I just was so pleased at how something so simple triggered something for my dad i thought it worth sharing.
hoping to post more on the forum when i get the time

dinkysarah

May 28, 2015
What a fantastic idea. Maureen likes nothing better that seeing her granddaughter sing on YouTube. No matter how many times I put it on she always comments that Maeve is on again.

it think it's about finding that one thing that just clicks. I'm hoping to come up with some other ideas as i am getting a bit bored with the train video now lol

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
it think it's about finding that one thing that just clicks. I'm hoping to come up with some other ideas as i am getting a bit bored with the train video now lol
I know. The field is wide open! My father often tucks his head down and shuts his eyes, but some things on telly rivet him. It used to be news, country file, gardening shows, tennis, and then documentaries, and now, programs about dogs doing things. I think his favorite films like African Queen might work, and lite opera like Porgy and Bess. His visual playlist! But I am still in limbo about an oldie gadget. Is there such a thing? My mother is almost 90, and is smart, as his carer, but can't work gadgets at all. He used to love them so I wonder if there are some he could use.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
Youtube playlist?

It occurrs to me, if spotify is a way of previewing music that they might love for their playlist, wouldn't youtube be also, with the added benefit of letting them see the action? My Dad marvels at Minnie Pearl singing on Grand Ol Opera, and loves real opera too, being transfixed by my kindlefire tablet all aglow with some production in full swing.
Can one record them? I wonder. How do copywrite laws work?

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015

I just looked at your blog. Oh heavens. It is heart breaking and exhausting to comprehend. I was going to start a campaign to replace the word "Dementia" but the disease does dement people into delusion, wild frustration and despair. Maybe like in the esquimo word's for snow, there should be all sort of aspects of the condition that are articulated and used. (The delusions , the locked-in part, the fog, but also the childlike joy sometimes, and peace, sometimes.)
You have had a traumatic time, though. And do persevere amazingly.
I recommend an online course on Futurelearn which is three weeks underway, but you can learn at your own pace. It uses literature as a mental coping skill. It begins with stress and ends with Dementia! https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/literature/

amdedona

Mar 21, 2016
What a wonderful idea

My dad used to love reading and watching films but can no longer concentrate or understand but he always loved the railway and i so bought him a DVD which was a drivers eye view from the cab of a train journey he knew well. The journey only takes about half an hour going from his home station to to another station he knows from his younger days. To most people it's as boring as can be but it's the best thing i ever bought him and he has watched the DVD over and over again, it has no narrative, no music it is simply a realtime recording of the train journey (including going through tunnels! very bizarre!!). Everytime i visit he gets the DVD out to show me and we watch it together. I am now thinking of making a video of my journey to work so that he can see where i go everyday. he can't remember where i work but as i go by train i thought he might enjoy it. Not sure if i am allowed to post links but if anyone wants to know where i bought the dvds from i will post a link

Hope you manage to get the journey to work sorted