A dreadful couple of days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh @Marnie63 what an emotional time for you. So much of what you have written in your post echoes how my husband's last days were. In particular the last thoughts in your post are so close to how mine were.

I'm thinking of you both. Still wishing you continued strength and wishing your mum her well deserved peace. I'm so glad you have been able to stay with her. A comfort to you both.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Oh Marnie your love & devotion to your Mum comes through so clearly.
My thoughts are with you both xx

Distressed55

May 13, 2018
Thanks everyone. Just popped home for a shower and change of clothes (and some make up!). Mum is, sadly, dying. They tried antibiotics several times, to no avail, so have stopped treatment, pallative drugs only. As well as the pneumonia, she has an obstructed bowel, which was probably the cause of those awful toileting issues. Wish I'd known, but to be honest, I think it only came on recently - maybe that awfully huge bowel movement she had last week compromised the bowel somehow. Poor mum. An operation would be possible for this, but not for someone in mum's state, they said she would probably not survive, and why put her through it? The drugs are OK, they make her more 'comfortable', but the heavy breathing and rasping continue and it's awful to witness. Nearly three years of hell with dementia, and a terrible ending as well. But, at least she won't go to end stage, that I can now be sure of. A little bit more 'torture' and it will all be over. Rest at last.

Managed to get a priest to give her Last Rites today, which also gave me comfort. The staff at the hospital have been great, but due to a very loud and coarse bed neighbour (!), she's now in a side room, quieter, but more lonely for me. I have taken to pacing the corridors! Consultant said it could be today, or a bit longer, but it's going to be soon. Cried a lot last night, slept in the hospital bed with her, and felt stronger this morning, am bracing myself as, in spite of all the anticipatory grief already experienced, I know it will hit me hard when mum is no longer with us. I'd like to think dad and all their friends have got the banners out and are waiting, drumming their fingers. She's kept them all waiting for so long!

A few thoughts already though - I did it! I accomplished mum's care as I wished, at home. That was important to me. To have her dying at home would perhaps have been a step too far, so glad she's in hospital, with all drugs at hand, and all other support of course. Hospice has been mentioned, but it would be along drive from the hospital so they said it's too risky in her state.

The other thought - no more carers stomping through the house!!!! One has texted me already, bless her, and the on call office lady offered to come to the hospital. What stars. In spite of the stomping, they were all angels, doing what they did to help me and mum

OK, back to hospital to try to be with her when she dies. She can't speak, too weak and raspy and rarely opens her eyes now. I speak to her and stroke her hands and face, and will be sleeping with her in the hospital bed again tonight, if she survives that long.

My mum, what a star, what a wonderful mother and friend she has been to me. I hope just some of what I've done for her over the past few years has been as good as what she gave to me throughout her life.

Getting sentimental now, have to go!

I'm so sorry. You've done brilliantly, your mum couldn't have asked for better.

lilaclady

Apr 11, 2016
Wishing you strength and your lovely mum a peaceful passing - I too have read your struggles with so much admiration for your caring - Take care of yourself xx

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
There is something so special about a mother and daughter relationship isn’t there... and you have been very lucky to have had such a lovely strong relationship with your Mum.
Not everyone is lucky enough to have what you and I too have had.
I still miss my Mum dreadfully, she died in 1987. But I also have some very special memories of her.
Stay strong @Marnie63 ....
all of this is so very tough for you, but take comfort from how much you and your Mum love each other.
That love will always be there.
With love B xx

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Oh Marnie...what a few days you and your dear mum have had. I wish her a comfortable and peaceful drift into sleep. My dad was similar...bumbling along the declining dementia road then...wham other medical problems came from left side totally caught me and his NH by surprise. I like you thought when I took dad back to his NH to die...at least he had been spared the very end dementia stage trapped in his body and in his bed. Last rites for dad gave me comfort also so I am glad that you have managed that for your mum. I cam also empathise with you walking the hospital corridors in the early hours.Don't think about what ifs...they don't count...you have been and will continue to be an amazing daughter and your mum is blessed to have you and vice versa. Take care of yourself also during this rotten time

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Thinking of you. The palliative care team will do a wonderful job in keeping your mum pain free so that her passing is as peaceful as possible. Well done in all that you have done for your mum and I am glad that you are already focussing on the positive times. Just being there to hold her hand at these end stages will bring comfort to you both.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Marnie, I am so sorry, I have only just now caught up on your news. All I can do is send many ((((((())hugs))))))))) to you and your mum. I'm so sorry.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Marnie, I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how hard it is to lose a beloved mother, having lost mine 2 years ago. I hope that your mother's passing is peaceful and serene.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Sending a hug, its so very hard.
I suppose the best we can wish for now is that Mums passing is peaceful x

You were amazing- full of admiration for you, Mum couldnt have had it better

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
I’ve been away from TP for a few days dealing with health issues here. I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. You have done your utmost to care for her and I feel she would be so proud of you, and rightly so. I have learnt lots of useful snippets by following your posts so thank you. Sending love and hugs to you both and wishing your mum a peaceful end. You may be walking the corridors alone but we are all with you in spirit, and thinking of you.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
O dear Marnie, I have only just come on to the site after a week of trying to adjust to my changed circumstances with my mum and cried buckets all week. As I have been reading this thread my tears started again for you.

Hold on to her for as long as you can. I am so sorry Marnie.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
Dear Marnie, I'm so, so sorry.
This time will be so precious to you both.
What a lovely thought, you sharing the bed and holding your lovely Mum close.
I'm so glad you have the palliative care team all around you to take that load from your shoulders, strong though they are.
Yes, you did it, you did it, you should be so proud and I'm sure your Mum is.

There'll be a big "gang" of TPers walking the corridors with you, invisible maybe, but there nonetheless.
All my love to you ((((X))))

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Marnie I'm so sorry. You have been and continue to be by your Mums side throughout this dreadful illness.I pray for a peaceful journey for your Mum to your Dad and all of those waiting for her.
Like others have said we are all walking those corridors with you.
Such a precious time for you as you hold your Mum tight.
Good night God bless xx

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Marnie, am so very sorry that you are now having to face this. From what I have read in your other posts you have done everything for your Mum that you could have possibly done. I hope that her passing is peaceful, will be thinking of you both

Status
Not open for further replies.