A dog problem

CALLYDG

Jun 28, 2012
Hi everyone,

I need help. My family and I have a 4 yr. old German Shepherd with a lovely temperament. I have spent dozens of hours training him; he is 'my' dog rather than my husbands. My dad came to live with us after a 10 year relationship broke down in May this year. He has Vascular dementia; at the end of the mid stages.
Dad has become obsessed with the dog. Every time the dog comes into the room, Dad is calling him, clicking with his mouth and this is constant, especially when no-one is in the room with him. I can hear dad getting really frustrated and angry with him because Ziko ignores him 95% of the time. Whenever I have spoken to dad about it, he passes it off...I'm just playing with him...I'm talking to him...he's ignoring me, etc, etc. Dad also pats him on his back end / legs quite hard at times and I'm really concerned that dad may hit Ziko with his walking stick in anger and he will get hurt, then turn and bite him.
Can anyone give me any ideas on how to handle this situation? All ideas welcome.

CallyDG

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Callydg,

In thinking what I would do in your situation, I think the first thing would be to put on the stern voice and tell your dad what the boundaries are with regards to the dog. Just because he has dementia does not mean that he can't be told not to do something and if you speak in a serious tone to him about it then it is more likely to be something he remembers too.

The next thing I thought was whether you could include your dad in the training that you have been doing with the dog. Teach your dad how to get the dog to sit and give your dad some treats to give to the dog during the session. It is all about telling your dad what he can and cannot do so far as the dog is concerned. My feeling is that if you took this approach then the dog might become more responsive towards your dad and your dad then would feel that he has an affinity with the dog.

Other things that I thought of were all starting to involve restraining the dog from being near your father but that becomes a nightmare to manage doesn't it.

Fiona

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Our dog was sensitive to changes in my husband - and learnt to stay away or to alert us when she thought he was at risk.

She was a border collie and very skillful.

I think your German shepherd might learn to stay away from your dad. If not you will have to protect the dog (and therefore your dad) by keeping the dog away.

I do NOT agree with the suggestion that you can train your father.

Austinsmum

Oct 7, 2012
Melton Mowbray
We have a similar problem with mum (who lives with us) and our dogs too. We have had to make changes as she is a danger to the large dog. We have encouraged him to stay outside and away from her as much as possible as mum can't stop herself trying to connect with him. She frightened him once into jumping over a picket fence and he ripped a massive hole in his chest - it took 3 months to heal; it was a mess. The little dogs however are a big comfort to her as one of them sleeps on her lap and keeps her quiet watching the tele. She is not making them neurotic - yet. In the future though, I may worry for their safety too.
Maybe he needs a pet of his own?

susana53

Mar 15, 2010
Littlehampton, West Sussex
In my opinion, because of his dementia, you can't tell him not to do it as he will not remember or understand.. The same as you can't get him to help with the training as he wouldn't be consistent. On the other hand, maybe you could teach the dog to stay away from him. German shepherds are so clever, he would probably learn very quickly what you are telling him. [I've got 2 gsds]
Sorry I can't be more help.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I think you have to protect your lovely dog from your Dad......this means you have to be with your dog if Dad is there...;and other times prevent the dog physically from being in the same room as Dad on it's own......nothing else for it as far as I can see .

CALLYDG

Jun 28, 2012
Thanks for your advice

Hi

I think I will try to keep the dog with me more. It's when I go out that I get worried.
Dad takes no notice of what I say and continues to harass the dog by calling him constantly.
Thanks for your replies.

CallyDG

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I think you are right to do the above...good luck...dogs are such constant, loyal friends to us they deserve the best!

Lulabelle

Jul 2, 2012
South West France
I totally agree that it would be better to try to keep them apart as much as possible. You would be heartbroken if your dad hurt the dog and, even worse if the dog hurt your dad!! I am a dog lover and we recently went to the UK to see my mum (who is suffering from dementia) she fell madly in love with our dalmatian although she has never been a dog lover (she's more a cat person) and wouldn't leave him alone - kissing and hugging him and constantly talking to him. He could so easily have turned although he is not that kind of dog that we didn't dare leave her alone with him. I would just be gutted if my lovely mum were to get bitten by my beautiful boy whom I adore.
But it was a joy to see her so taken with him.

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
I think you could try asking your dad firmly to leave the dog alone, but that probably won't work
We have a problem with my mum and our two terriers, she is terribly inconsistent with them - one minute she is really pleased to see them, giving them inappropriately huge treats etc and then next she doesn't want them anywhere near her. It's very confusing for them - but she only comes to our house one day a week so it's bearable.
I think you stand a better chance of training the dog to stay away from your dad, but how do you protect the dog when you are out?
Much sympathy but no real answers I'm afraid

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513