A diagnosis at last.

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Hi everyone,Mum had a call from the consultant yesterday evening to say he was coming to see dad this morning.A bit unusual for a Saturday i thought.Anyway the consultant came and was very nice.He asked myself and mum a lot of questions about dad and then did the memory test.Mum got upset when dad was answering questions wrongWhich is understandable.I knew what the questions were going to be having sat through the test several times with residents at work.Dads score was 16 which made him a candidate for medication.The consultant has prescribed Reminyl and will send for dad in a few months to attend the memory clinic.I am so relieved that the diagnosis has been made and there is help for dad.When the consultant left mum said to dad "you do know Brian that that gentleman has just said you have Alzheimers",Dad said "i b***** knew that already" we had to laugh.Thanks to everyone on TP for your advice and support ,I am eternally grateful.love elainex

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
.The consultant has prescribed Reminyl and will send for dad in a few months to attend the memory clinic

please to read that , good to read that your father openly admit it . mum was never like that when they told her she still say the nothing wrong with her its all down to her legs .

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
What a great Consultant to do a house call on a Saturday. I am so sorry your dad has had this diagnosis, but at least you and mum can get help for dad, and help for your mum as time goes on.

Well done to your dad for accepting this, bless him, that takes courage.

Let us know how you all are.

Love

Cate

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I'm glad you've got your diagnosis at last, Elaine, and it's wonderful that your dad has accepted it so well. I hope Reminyl works for him, it's been wonderful for John.

At least now you're getting treatment for your dad, and hopefully will be able to get some support for your mum.

Love,

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Well done Elaine - (not least for your great sense of humour) see where you get it from now! ;) ) .....

Often thought fear of the unknown is one of the worst of all .... once you know what you're 'up against', know which enemy you're fighting and can draw up a better battle plan than simply trying to fight your way out of a paper bag life does get strangely easier .... (no less sad, of course).

Sorry, it's a sad day and I'm not trying to make light of it ....... but in my experience the 'side-effect' of a diagnosis was the start of potential support packages rolling in .....

Much love to you all, Karen, x

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
A Consultant on a Saturday

This was a shock to us all when the consultant rang mum at 7pm last night.When he came today he said he had tried to ring the house phone several times.Mum and dad don't have a house phone,but have a mobile.Where they got the other number from is anyones guess.Today was a triumph and i was, to say the least "over the moon".Now all i can do is cry,why? because i only looked at dad once when he was having the mmse and he had tears in his eyes.Now i have come down from my euphoria at getting treatment,the image of the tears in his eyes and mums upset when he could not answer questions has hit me.love to you all elainex

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
elaineo2 said:
.Now i have come down from my euphoria at getting treatment,the image of the tears in his eyes and mums upset when he could not answer questions has hit me.love to you all elainex

Well that was bound to happen wasn`t it Elaine.

But you have a strong and loving family who are all open and honest with each other. You have been worried about your father for a good while. No one can be `happy` with such a diagnosis, but at least he can start with the Reminyl and hope for some extended quality of life.

And you will be there for them both, and we will be here for you.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Elaine, I'm sorry you've come down to earth with a bump. I guess as long as there isn't a definite diagnosis, there's always that faint hope at the back of your mind, even though you really knew, didn't you?

I know how you feel about seeing the tears in your dad's eyes. OK, it makes it easier for you that he knows, but it's devastating for him, and you can't help being upset for him. It's an image that will stay with you for a long time. None of us want to see our loved ones unhappy.

Just try and stay strong, love, you're such a caring person and your mum and dad will be depending on you.

I can't pretend it will be easy, but you can do it. Just take things gently for the weekend, then you can start working out what support you want. And talk to us, whenever you want, we're always here for you.

Love,

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
Now you can get the help your Dad needs, I hope all goes well with the Reminyl and you all keep your sense of humour, laughter is the number one medicine.
When my Mum has her tests, (5 in all ) I can't look at her ( too many tears in my eyes), she asks me to tell her the answer, she always manages to make a joke of it which makes us all laugh.

I wish you all well
Take care
Janetruth x

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Thanks all.The diagnosis isn't the problem.I can deal with that as it was expected.Its mum being upset and those tears in dads eyes that upset me more.I can only summise that their tears were tears of recognising the problem and having a consultant lay it on the line was the straw mum was waiting for to break the camels back.My grief at the moment is for them.I am upset because mum is upset.I don't think it's something i will grow out of,being 39.lol.love to everyone elainex

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Elaine, I am sorry that you and your family have to face this and hopefully the medication works well for your dad. Humour goes along way with handling this disease. I can remember when mum had her last assessment the geriatrician introduced himself to mum as Dr !!!.... then he started asking the questions...mum had great difficulty answering and she got cranky, she said to this Dr I am glad that I'm not sick because you don't seem to know much. He didn't see the funny side of it. Best Wishes Taffy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshaw6