A Conundrum

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I received a text today from my LA NHS asking me to register for regular COVID-19 testing every two weeks.

I phoned my GP to check it was legit and it is.

My nearest testing hub is a short bus ride away which would take less than 15 minutes each way

If I register (which I would like to do with a social conscience) I’m likely to come into contact with more people of a mixed age group than I do now

There is concern in my area about new mutations of the virus and effort is being centred on increased testing.

I have just had my first vaccination and each day am nearer my second

My heart tells me I should. My head tells me I shouldn’t

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i heard on the news that they are doing door to door testing. saw them loading up cars with boxes of tests. it seems that if you go to the hub, you would be more vulnerable. i would stay where you are for the minute. they are doing certain postcodes. my son and is family are in the same county but its not their postcode.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Listen to your head!
Just say no!
They are delivering lateral flow tests to some!
I am not a betting weasell, but if I was I would bet on those that say ‘no ‘ receiving a delivery of the lateral flow tests.
If you feel the need to attend any unauthorised raves, then please ignore my advice, but other than that I consider it good advice.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
We're all aware of these scary changes to the Corona virus at the moment.
If I were you, I'd rather do the test at home, at last until the first Covid jab has given you a level of immunity.
Stay safe/ Be safe ?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Folks.

We are not in one of the suspect postcodes so I`m unlikely to get a home visit. I`m not going to risk standing in line for my test, however prompt the appointments are . If I can be tested at home I will.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Our buses are usually quite empty .

I must praise our LA for the bus service during the pandemic. The buses run as frequent ly and ever and are much cleaner.

What I do find disturbing are the few people who use their mobiles on the buses and remove their masks while they are talking.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Grannie G If you feel safer at home then don't register. I know they want to get a wider view but they would be better off concentrating on those who move about more like people who still work like supermarket staff and people who do use public transport and bus drivers.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I find the idea of @Grannie G attending an illegal rave somewhat hard to credit!
You are correct!
I had quite forgotten!
The last one she attended she:
a= Took a handbag
b= Put it on the floor and wanted to dance around it
c= Requested a track by Simon and Garfunkel
She has been banned from all future events, and her photo has been given to security!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I can't imagine how scary it must be for you all in UK at the moment.

Life here has been almost normal, normal as it can be but we watch from afar and know that our fear is different to yours. We haven't even started vaccinations and not even been given a starting date.. We will all be relieved when they get going but actually we are very safe.

OH has siblings and other family in England and so far they have been fine.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Your country has handled everything so well @lawson.
I would have to say that mostly things have gone well but that's not to say there weren't any major blips along the way. At times, our remoteness has been a disadvantage but I think in this situation it has been a blessing

Melbourne had such tough restrictions that fortunately worked but trying to apply those in UK or Europe would be just about impossible. We have space around us, even those who live in inner cities have room to move and to keep our distance. We have a testing clinic within walking distance but we haven't had cause to use it yet.

We do go into panic mode when an active case is found. Western Australia had not had a case of community transmision for ten months but when the first one escaped from hotel quarantine, just about the whole state went into lockdown.

My granddaughter is now back at work three a days a week and two at home but my daughter has not set foot in her office for almost a year.

The road ahead is full of uncertainty and fear for all of us but we thank our lucky stars that we for the moment we are safe,. We really hope that everybody in UK gets vaccinated soon.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve made an appointment. Tuesday at 11am .

I heard it was very well organised, took 5 minutes and the result sent by text. I used public transport yesterday and it was fine. The buses were clean and almost empty.

I think it`s in my own best interests and also the community`s best interests. If I feel it's unsafe I can always cancel.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
very true. not many people are using public transport and they have to run it like someone has got it as they dont know who might have it. when my husband had his jab on tuesday, hes extremely vulnerable, the organisation was very good. it has to be