A comforting thought ......

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Having had to time to reflect on the assessment mum had this week, though it might be worth sharing this wonderful piece of advice I had for others who might be in a similar situation ......(i.e. caring for someone who lives independently - 'independent' being a relative term! :rolleyes: ).

'We all live with risk to some degree, as long as everything we can think of is in place to prevent as much risk as we can, then it's enough. We none of us can plan for every eventuality even in our own homes.'

That thought/advice is one I am trying to keep with me just now above all others ......

Love, Karen, x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
And it's very true Karen. I think we would all (intellectually) remove all risk from our loved one's life, but calm reflection shows us that that's not possible. If it was there would be no accidents at all, and of course there are, even when dementia isn't involved.

All we can try to do is our best, and not second-guess ourselves.

Love

Jennifer

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Yes, as long as we do the best we can, we can ask for nothing else.

Life is full of risk and things that are out of our control can just happen. We need to keep that in mind also.

Great thought, Karen, I hope it helps ease your mind.

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Dear Karen,
Your advice was very timely for me at the moment. I'm a great one for "micro-managing" things so that I can control EVERYTHING :rolleyes: and (surprise! surprise!), it doesn't always work!!

I agree that we need to realise that we can only do our best and the rest is up to fate or whatever we believe directs our lives.
Thank you for your help.