A christmas memory of my Mother

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
We didn't really go in for traditional christmas celebrations probably because family was widely spread and I was an only and my father had died when I was quite young.

I just want to share one memory of my mother as she died this year. I must have been nineteen or twenty - definitely living away from home. I came back for the holiday and on Christmas Day we did what we normally did when everyone was eating Christmas Dinner - took the dogs for a very long walk on the Downs. On the way back, my mother stopped to pick up a hitchhiker (a not infrequent event). It turned out this elderly man had, by his own account, been in the merchant navy and was trying to get down to Devon to see his old commander. I have no idea of how much of this was truthful, but as it was Christmas Day, my mother took him home, gave him dinner and a bed for the night and then drove him to Devon the next day - about 100 miles.

My mother was by no means a Christian in the traditional sense of the word, but I think this shows what a wonderful woman she was.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
A beautiful tale, Jennifer. And for me personally an illustration of the very essence of Christianity .......

Thank you. Love, Karen, x

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
That is a lovely story Jennifer - not many people would do that I can understand why you call her 'Wonderful'.

My Xmas memory of my Mum is of her cooking Xmas Lunch for all her children and grandchildren - 22 of us in total. We had some great times. I was telling her about that yesterday when I went to see her, but she didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Libs

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Jennifer, that's a great memory about your mother. Thanks so much for sharing it. You are right to be very proud of her, as she surely must have been of you.
Love Deborah

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Jennifer

What a lovely memory of your mum - she was truly a mum to be proud of.

She certainly showed the meaning of Christmas in it's purest sense.

Love

Incony

Mar 21, 2006
Norfolk
shine in sympathy....

The true blood of life knows no boundaries, nothing is impossible, faith radiates strength.. whatever one seeks one will find.. the truth is your belief, to share such power in sympathy is a consequence...those that do.. shine forever..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
konnifel