A carer's life is precarious

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Need to post - bad day

Have been developing a cold, and it hit me today.

Woke pouring with sweat at 3.30 with Dee going to the loo. Always takes a long time but eventually new pads and back to sleep.

Stayed in bed 'till 8, sweating, sore throat, aching, blocked nose. Would have given anything to go back to bed, but got Dee toileted, washed, dressed and made breakfast. Curled up in chair not wanting to move but went shopping in village - by car - now have linctus etc.

It's Saturday, can't ring our GP, don't want to action Care-Line as the nurse will tell me to do what I'm already doing and don't know what happens at the Memory Clinic at weekends.

Neighbours have their Saturdays and, truly what could they do. All I wanted to do was go to bed.

Fixed simple soup lunch. chucked everything into the machine including the breakfast things that Dee had insisted washing up. Curled up in chair.

So grateful that Dee is loving and wants to help, although it doubles the work. But makes you realise how vunerable we are as lone carers of someone who really depends upon you.

Well that's got it off my chest, now a simple meal, drink and to bed early.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Cliff, sending you a very large medicinial HUG

Do hope that you get a better night, and feel somewhat easier tomorrow.

Thinking of you, love Con.

lizzie2596

Jul 3, 2007
Dear Cliff

Hope you feel better soon.

Have you signed up for a flu jab - carers are one of the target groups and October is the month to get one at your GPs.

I have one every year and swear by them. Still get the odd cold but not nearly as bad or as often as before. Being a teacher I used to pick up so many bugs doing the rounds of the school.

Liz x

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Thank youn Liz,

We are booked in for Flu jabs next Tuesday................

Just unfortunate I caught this cold - most unusual for me.

Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Cliff, huge hugs.

You're right, a carer's life is precarious, and when we're ill we don't only have to worry about ourselves. There very often isn't anyone to take over from us, so we have to 'get by'.

And doesn't it always happen at weekends or public holidays.

As well as the hug, I'm sending you a large single malt -- purely medicinal of course -- unless you know better!

Hope you have a good night, and feel better tomorrow.

Love,

allylee

Feb 28, 2005
west mids
Dear Cliff,

its at times like this, when YOU need some TLC that you realise just how hard the role of carer is.

To anyone else itd be "plenty of fluid. plenty of rest" , not a chance for many of you guys though.

Really hope you start to feel better soon.

Love Ally xx

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Cliff,

Thankyou for bringing this to the fore. You do need all your wits about you when caring. I will remind my mum (carer) and my dad (sufferer) to get their jabs. I have found that eating 3 portions of fruit a day staves off the sniffles.

My grandfather's remedy was a hot toddy and aspirin (presumably on the basis it would kill or cure:eek: ) Not recommending it!

Hope you feel better tomorrow.

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Hi Cliff,hope you feel better soon.You care for Dee day in day out and now she wants to do the same for you.That is lovely.It may double the work but at least her feelings for you are still there.You may end up working off the cold taking care of Dee taking care of you.LOL. joking aside,i do hope you feel better tomorrow and that you get a good sleep tonight.take care of yourself love elainex

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
So sorry Cliff.

You probably caught the cold in the first place because you`re run down. But that`s not going to help is it.

I`m glad you`re getting your flu jab next week, ours is booked too, I don`t know how any of us would cope with flu proper, when a really bad cold makes you feel so weak and heavy.

Illness makes lone caring lonelier than ever, doesn`t it?

I hope it doesn`t last too long.

Love xx

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Try putting mentol crytals in some hot water by your bed at night ( if its safe to do so ) It might stink the room out but will help you not getting blocked up. I agree its a nightmare when carers get those awful bugs.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Cliff
hope you feel better today,sensible to get the flu jabs.
It was always my dread if I feel ill,what would happen to Peg?
We did get by for all those years so I suppose that was something to be grateful for.
Norman

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Progress report for all you kind people

Sore throat has really eased off, but this morning felt like useless floppy carrot,

Did soup again for Dee's lunch and tinned fruit, Fell asleep in chair, woke up somehow as Dee had missed the toilet - fortunately it has vinyl on the floor. And two minutes later the doorbell rang. A lovely lady firefighter complete with fire engine calling to fit longlife smoke alarms. Suprise. Surprise. Shut panic-striken Dee in the toilet after telling her it was a lady.

Lady-firefighter very understanding. Feel much better now after this episode - it has shaken me out of lethagy. Have cleaned up and will mop it with Dettol tomorrow am. Have just cooked the chicken that was mouldering in the frig so everythings OK.

Now for quiet evening, 1 x good smw - then early bed

TP is marvellous for getting things off your chest - love to all

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Glad you're feeling a bit better today, Cliff. Hopefully the bugs are on the run.

Let me know if you run out of SM.

Love,

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Sorry you were poorly Cliff but hopefully you're on the mend now. It's tough enough being a carer and even tougher when you need a bit of TLC yourself.

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Dear Cliff,
Glad to hear the SMW is doing the trick! "Best medicine there is!" according to mu hubby!

On a serious side, it is so hard to be a Carer when you are sick yourself. I remember being a young Mum with two sick toddlers who needed me every moment, and feeling like death myself.

Knowing you cannot just turn your face to the wall and get better makes it harder to bear, somehow. Anyhow, VERY glad to hgear you are on the mend. I love your posts - always so full of caring and so full of fun. We NEED you on TP!!

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Cliff,
Sorry to hear that you not well I hope that things quickly improve for you, and that your feeling well again in no time. Take Care Taffy.

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hope you are feeling better now

HI Cliff

I hope that you are feeling a little better now. There is nothing worse when you are not well yourself than having to also deal with the needs of others. I know what it is like when my twin sons are ill and you feel awful and just have to keep going..sometimes there has been nothing for it but to lie down and hope for the best (I still haven't figured out if it easier now than then!)

Keep up the hot toddies..they at least help you forget about the cold if they don't cure it. :D

Mameeskye