A Break in the Price of Donepezil

Kijo

Feb 9, 2014
I had a pleasant surprise today when I went to pick up another month of Aricept for my husband. Here in Canada it is $171 and change for 30 pills, and currently I don't have medical coverage for it until I accumualte a total of $2,000 in a year, then I would get a discount.
After 3 years of buying this, when the pharmacist went to give the me prescription this time she asked if I wanted the generic instead. I asked her to confirm if it was identical, and indeed it is.
So now, he has generic Donepezil instead of the brand name of Aricept - and it only cost $49.54 for the same 30 pills. I asked how long the generic has been available to the public and she couldn't tell me - but I am very grateful she asked.

As I know most of you are on the other side of the world from me, I am curious if you also have access to the genric brand?

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
At the moment we are paying for Donepezil as we have to have a private prescription (long story, won't bore you with it). I was slightly concerned about having to do this but imagine my relief when it cost £5 for 28 5 mg tablets :)

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Kijo
Yes we do, I am not sure how long its been available here but have seen it mentioned on here for a while now.

Am glad the pharmacist asked you, it is a huge difference in price

di65

Feb 28, 2013
new zealand
I can only be thankful for our system in NZ by the accounts I have read. My husband's GP issues his prescriptions every 3 months when we see him for check-ups. The cost of the GP visit is $27 (including the prescription). When we take the script to the chemist we pay nothing further. That is - after we have accumulated a family total of 20 separate medications. Not difficult with his 6 per visit and mine, also 6. Before this accumulation we probably pay a total of about $20 a time. Certainly helps ends meet :) This accumulation is done on an annual basis

Last edited:

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
'Generic' Aricept.

Quite a coincidence that. My wife has been of 5mg. original Pfizer Aricept for the past 2 months - 56 tablets. A tightly controlled prescription here in Italy; with a special 'drug' book that has to be stamped by memory clinic, GP, and pharmacist; and then a 48 hour wait whilst the actul box of pills arrives from the health service sitribution centre. Anyway, last Friday they were prescribed again, 28 days supply. Ready for collection yesterday - no originals but 'generic' donepezil. When I queried why, told that a cost cutting exercise. As my wife is over 80 we don't pay any ticket on this.
keep smiling,
malomm

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Aricept (Donapezil) is prescribed free here by the NHS if you are either over 60 or have a long term condition which warrents free prescriptions.
My husband had the branded Aricept at the start whilst being prescribed by the Memory Clinic but once the prescribing of it was passed to the GP after the 3 month trial, he had donapezil because it is much cheaper.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Here in Australia Aricept is available on the Public Benefit Scheme which is $6.00 for 28tablets and we get 1 original presription and 5 repeats. Because OH has lots of meds, we have reached the Safety Net limit and all our meds for both of us are free until the end of the year provided they appear as Public Benefit.

That is such a relief. But then at the start of 2015, we go back to paying the $6.00 for them.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Thank God it's free for OH!
He pays out enough for additional incontinence pants that the NHS prescription does not cover (they think he should only have 2 a day), and they cost more than £1 per one pad!

Trixxie

Oct 3, 2014
Midsomer Norton near Bath
Hello, my hubby of only 54 has just been diagnosed with Alzheimers (last week) and he's been prescribed Aricept from our Rice memory Clinic I have to contact them when he's got 10 days of tablets left and they will post a prescription to him, we have got a review in February but I was wondering if he's eligible for an NHS exemption card, I have one as I'm on Levothyroxine.?
Thanks Tracey.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I am so angry that people in the UK are having to pay for pads or pants because the NHS, in their wisdom, deem that what they supply is sufficient. :mad::mad::mad: And I am equally fuming that so many of the carers in other countries are having to pay for the medication for their loved ones,. :mad:

I pay for John's toiletries, the same things I'd pay for if he was fit and well, like toothpaste, and shaving cream, but it's hardly a lifestyle choice if you find 2 pads a day is insufficient - due to your hubby's illness - or do they think it's acceptable to have a wet and soiled item, next to your skin, only changed every 12 hours?

:mad::mad::mad: