A book, a park bench and rain!

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
Managed to get a few days away for my sons graduation in the UK, left the OH looking after his Mum (PWD) I had a couple of hours to kill so I bought a book, went and sat in the park and the heavens opened - but I got the brolly out and carried on reading! Silly I know but it made a couple of passers by smile and gave me a few unadulterated hours of freedom that I have not had for a while. Funny how the simplest of things like that can make a difference for us carers - a book, a park bench and rain!

Szaitisja

Jul 28, 2018
Hertfordshire
What a nice way to spend some free time:) When i came to UK 12 years ago I moved to a small town and rented a room very close to local park. I didn't know anyone but I used to go to the park with my book every days and sit on a bench for few hours and read. Dogs would tun up to say hello every now and then and sometimes I would chat to the owners for a little while and that's how I met very nice local people to start with. I also applied to volunteer in a local charity shop and met even more people. Your post just brought back those lovely memories:)

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
"......... but I got the brolly out and carried on reading! Silly I know but it made a couple of passers by smile and gave me a few unadulterated hours of freedom that I have not had for a while.........."

Sounds all good to me - you enjoyed it, two passers by were cheered by seeing you - and congratulations on son's graduation

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Managed to get a few days away for my sons graduation in the UK, left the OH looking after his Mum (PWD) I had a couple of hours to kill so I bought a book, went and sat in the park and the heavens opened - but I got the brolly out and carried on reading! Silly I know but it made a couple of passers by smile and gave me a few unadulterated hours of freedom that I have not had for a while. Funny how the simplest of things like that can make a difference for us carers - a book, a park bench and rain!
Sometimes we just have to grab those little moments and enjoy them for what they. In a way, they are sanctuary from all the things that trouble us, things that are inescapable.

And sometimes,it's just so hard to find those times. We have a huge park close to us where I like to take my dog for a walk. It has the most remarkable facilities but these are all around the perimeter of the park for easy access so the middle is just old fashioned parkland. No roads, no bike or walking trails so we have the place to ourselves. If we are early, we see the flying foxes coming back to roost and sometimes they are drowned out by a flock of sulphur crested cockatoos. Sometimes the corellas and galahs are coming to ground to feed and this morning we saw the first of the plover chicks, little fluffy balls being fiercely protected by their parents.

And I always know that Spring is just around the corner when a particular stand of wattles comes into flower.

Peace.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This took me back to the first time I had a carer to stay with my husband.

I went to the seafront, bought a takeaway coffee, sat on a sea front bench and looked out to sea. I had my kindle with me but didn`t need it.

It was the first time I was able to `stand and stare` for years.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
This took me back to the first time I had a carer to stay with my husband.

I went to the seafront, bought a takeaway coffee, sat on a sea front bench and looked out to sea. I had my kindle with me but didn`t need it.

It was the first time I was able to `stand and stare` for years.
And a chance to reconnect to that beautiful world out there.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I often stop on the way home from seeing Mum just to relax and clear my head before I get home. There is a lovely park on my route home and I just sit in the car park and listen to the radio.

I'm not sure why I do this as I live on my own and can do my own thing once I get home!

myss

Jan 14, 2018
For me, it's not only the nice view to enjoy, it's the chance to have some little time on my own to expand my mind and do something that relaxes me without having to worry about others. So, at times, I could be at home without the TV/radio/talking/etc going on enjoying the quiet or the sound of the rain outside and get a similar sense of Aaaaaahhhh. ;)

Cobber

Sep 13, 2016
My secret bliss, to go on an elevator! Normally with mum, mum in wheelchair, to be on my own and ride an elevator such excitment, oap becomes child!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I often stop on the way home from seeing Mum just to relax and clear my head before I get home. There is a lovely park on my route home and I just sit in the car park and listen to the radio.

I'm not sure why I do this as I live on my own and can do my own thing once I get home!
It sounds like you are just hitting the 'pause' button for a time. While you are just sitting listening to the radio, you cannot do the housework, you can ignore the bills and all the organising you need to arrange your life around your mum. I sometimes drive to the seafront and try and find a place to park away from other cars, people, any distractions.