A Blessed Release.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
On Thursday afternoon my husband slipped very quietly and peacefully away.
He had dementia but was diagnosed with cancer just over a month ago.
I was very fortunate to be able to keep him at home. The local care teams, hospice nurses, district nurses night sitters etc did a fantastic job.
I was also blessed with the fact that I was able to look after him whilst he still knew who I was and in some of his more lucid moments we were able to say goodbye properly.

I also had amazing help from my sister and brother in law and we were all able
to sit with him until the end.
It happened after the lunchtime carers came in and saw the changes and said it wasn’t going to be long.
An hour and a half later it was all over.
It was a beautiful moment and it can be said that he had a good death.
Of course I’m absolutely devastated but we both have been spared the awful consequences of dementia.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Sending sincere condolences to you and your family, if only everyone's passing could be as peaceful. Take care x

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@CAL Y of course you are devastated but he is at peace now. Take comfort in that you cared for him at home and that it was peaceful. Bless him and yourself.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to hear your news. I’m glad your husband is now at peace and I wish you strength.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
A Good Death as you describe it @CAL Y is what we might all wish for. I am very moved by what you have written and wish
all the best to you and your supportive family.