A bit of a giggle

Devonmaid

Sep 23, 2007
Dartmoor Devon
Hello all , its funny isnt it that rreading these postings, we all seem to have the up and down days , sometimes coping is not so bad and at other times, its almost unbearable . Well , yesterday , I was having the most horrible of days . The meeting to discuss Mums future is tomorrow and I am worried and then my ddear husband is getting worse too , he was at hospital yesterday and more major surgery is on the cards, he is severely disabled and cant walk very well , cant do a great deal to be honest and just sometimes, it all gets a bit much . Well, yesterday , my sister visited Mum and asked me to ring Mum on her ( my sisters ) mobile phone to have a chat (?) , see what Mum could remember , staff were happy with this and we arranged the time for the call so that my sister would take Mum out into the hospital garden in the wheel chair . It was with some trepidation that I rang as Mum often doesnt know who she is talking to and often talks pretty much rubbish . Well , yesterday , she was sounding quite good , seemed bright and cheerful , I`m not sure that she really knew who I was but at least she was ok . Just before I rang off , she said that she had a secret to tell me but I had to promise not to tell her mum and Dad ( both died 13 years ago ) then , bless her, she said that she was pregnant . Oh boy , what a riddiculous but so funny moment , sad but silly and it was so hard not to laugh , bless her . She has no idea how much that brightened my day , got to keep a sense of humour eh ? Love Kate

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Kate,
Your mum made me laugh also, my mum says; funny but silly things and at times a real shocker is thrown in, you are so right about keeping a sense of humour it goes a long way in keeping my sanity. I am sorry to hear about your hubby and hope things go well at the meeting for your mum. Hope tomorrow is better for you. Regards Taffy. :)

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Kate,
That reminds me of the time when I asked my mother if she had ever been married (doing a little memory test :)). She looked very shocked, drew herself up and said "Of course not - I'm too young to be married." This with her then 50 year old daughter sitting across the table from her.

Giggles are always good.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I would agree - you should find laughter wherever you can. Of course sometimes the giggles are tinged with hysteria, and sometimes they're more of a nervous relief, but whatever gets you throught the day (and it obviously doesn't need to be said) doesn't hurt the sufferer is a good thing.

Joanne: I often remember your post about your mother looking down at "buddha-like" self and complacently saying something along the lines of "of course I've never been overweight": my mother's "body image" improved no end towards the end of her life. Having spent most of her adult life on a diet (unsucessfully really for the last 20 years) by the end she was convinced she was a size 12, which caused a certain number of problems when it came to labels etc. :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Ironically , when my mother neared the end of her life, after years of dieting, she was a size 12, but in no fit state to appreciate it.