1. Devonmaid

Devonmaid Registered User

Sep 23, 2007
    Dartmoor Devon
    Hello all , its funny isnt it that rreading these postings, we all seem to have the up and down days , sometimes coping is not so bad and at other times, its almost unbearable . Well , yesterday , I was having the most horrible of days . The meeting to discuss Mums future is tomorrow and I am worried and then my ddear husband is getting worse too , he was at hospital yesterday and more major surgery is on the cards, he is severely disabled and cant walk very well , cant do a great deal to be honest and just sometimes, it all gets a bit much . Well, yesterday , my sister visited Mum and asked me to ring Mum on her ( my sisters ) mobile phone to have a chat (?) , see what Mum could remember , staff were happy with this and we arranged the time for the call so that my sister would take Mum out into the hospital garden in the wheel chair . It was with some trepidation that I rang as Mum often doesnt know who she is talking to and often talks pretty much rubbish . Well , yesterday , she was sounding quite good , seemed bright and cheerful , I`m not sure that she really knew who I was but at least she was ok . Just before I rang off , she said that she had a secret to tell me but I had to promise not to tell her mum and Dad ( both died 13 years ago ) then , bless her, she said that she was pregnant . Oh boy , what a riddiculous but so funny moment , sad but silly and it was so hard not to laugh , bless her . She has no idea how much that brightened my day , got to keep a sense of humour eh ? Love Kate

2. Taffy

Taffy Registered User

Apr 15, 2007
    Dear Kate,
    Your mum made me laugh also, my mum says; funny but silly things and at times a real shocker is thrown in, you are so right about keeping a sense of humour it goes a long way in keeping my sanity. I am sorry to hear about your hubby and hope things go well at the meeting for your mum. Hope tomorrow is better for you. Regards Taffy. :)

3. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Kate,
    That reminds me of the time when I asked my mother if she had ever been married (doing a little memory test :)). She looked very shocked, drew herself up and said "Of course not - I'm too young to be married." This with her then 50 year old daughter sitting across the table from her.

Giggles are always good.

4. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    I would agree - you should find laughter wherever you can. Of course sometimes the giggles are tinged with hysteria, and sometimes they're more of a nervous relief, but whatever gets you throught the day (and it obviously doesn't need to be said) doesn't hurt the sufferer is a good thing.

Joanne: I often remember your post about your mother looking down at "buddha-like" self and complacently saying something along the lines of "of course I've never been overweight": my mother's "body image" improved no end towards the end of her life. Having spent most of her adult life on a diet (unsucessfully really for the last 20 years) by the end she was convinced she was a size 12, which caused a certain number of problems when it came to labels etc. :)

5. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Ironically , when my mother neared the end of her life, after years of dieting, she was a size 12, but in no fit state to appreciate it.