a bad week

barbara h

Feb 15, 2008
county durham
Mam had a fall at the care home a week past thursday leaving her with a big bump on her head and her face all bruised. Over the next few days she deteriated badly not drinking, eating or sleeping. She was so weak and tired she couldn't stand up. On monday and tuesday they managed to get her to bed for a while but after sleeping for a little while she kept trying to get up very distressed crying for her mam. On Wednesday she started to drink again and the doctor visited and said she had very low blood pressure.

We have visited her today to find her a little bit better she has eaten a little. They have got her strapped in a wheelchair as she gets very restless at times and if she tries to get up and walk she would probably fall again.

I just feel totally exhausted after such an emotional week and just find it hard to imagine that she should go on like this for a long time. I just don't know how i will cope seeing her so distressed and obviously unhappy.

Love
Barbara h

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Barbara

Not much I can say to help, except that I know how you feel. I'm not surprised you're exhausted.

It's so traumatic, caring for someone at that stage. Your emotions are constantly on the surface, because every time you think things are going smoothly, something else happens to throw everything into turmoil again. But you'll cope because she's your mam.

I hope your mam picks up again soon.

Love and hugs,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Barbara - do they think that the low blood pressure might have caused the fall? My mother had a series of episodes which caused her to have low BP (normally her BP was high) and it all seemed related to sodium and/or potassium imbalances. I can't say they ever worked out why it happened but when they sorted it out then she was less wobbly.

lizzie2596

Jul 3, 2007
Hi Barbara

My Mum has had three bad falls at her care home this month, 2 in the last week. She was taken to hospital each time with head injuries (she seems to go down face first every time)but by some miracle she has bounced back each time with no side effects other than bruising.

Low blood pressure has also been mentioned even though she has been on medication for high blood pressure for about 20 years. They stopped that medication a couple of weeks ago but it clearly hasn't helped. I wonder whether the possibility of a sodium / potassium imbalance is worth investigating - I don't think we've got anything to lose.

It is a relief that your Mum is drinking and eating more as time goes on and I am keeping my fingers crossed that she will improve even more.

Liz

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Her low BP could be the cause of the falls and is certainly worth investigating. My own mother has had a few falls recently but luckily did not seriously injure herself. I took her to the doctor as I suspected low BP was the cause. However the doctor tested her and said that her BP was normal. I now wonder if she has sudden drops which quickly right themselvelves. Mum is using Thyroxine and the doctor increased the dose. She hasn't fell since then.

Two ladies at Ken's home also fell this week, one a few days ago and she is back in the Home in a wheelchair with a broken hip. I'm so glad that the hospital managed to get her back into the Home so quickly without the usual confusing and upsetting longer stay in hospital. The other lady fell today and the ambulance was just taking her to hospital as I arrived.

Fingers crossed for your mother's improved condition.

xxTinaT

Carolynlott

Jan 1, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
Barbara and Lizzie,
My Dad seems to be in a similar situation. Before, he was on pills for high BP - the new GP that he has since he went into his CH has said his BP is now low so has stopped the pills. He fell last week and cut his head. He has been to hospital for a scan on his swollen ankle/leg as the GP suspected a DVT. And now he has an eye infection. He has had bad gashes on his hand and arm where he has been attacked by other residents. Every time I go and see him there seems to be something new. I just feel ... he is somewhere I put him to make him safe, and his life seems more hazardous than before - or is this just part of the general decline, do you think?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
It's certainly worth having the BP checked, as this is obviously a possible cause of the falls.

On the other hand, it's also part of the natural progression of dementia. In the later stages the balance goes, and in people who are still mobile, falls become increasingly likely.

Just the other day I saw a resident fall in John's home. I called the nurse immediately, and there was no damage done. But they told me that was the third person to fall that morning -- out of 14 residents!

Most of the time there's no serious damage, but if there is a possibility of concussion, the person has to be closely monitored. There's also the possibility of a broken hip, which means a hospital admission and an operation.

Barbara & Lizzie, I'd be demanding all the investigations possible, but be prepared to be told there's nothing to be done.

Good luck,

barbara h

Feb 15, 2008
county durham
Thanks for your replies.

The doctor did seem to think the fall was probably due to her low blood pressure and she is on thyroxine and has also increased her dose of this.
The nurse went on Friday to check her blood pressure but couldn't get a reading and is going again on monday.

lots of love
barbara h