A bad day

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Hello Margarita

Are they fresh or tinned please - don't normally shop in M & S so don't know their stock.

Many thanks - Cliff

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Cliff.

If you ask for `no-soak` prunes in any supermarket or health food shop, you will get what you need.

Some might need stoning. Be careful.

Would Dee eat Porridge? If you buy Jumbo oats, they are another good source of fibre, made either with water or milk. They can be cooked in the microwave in a couple of minutes.

Love xx

Last edited:

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Had no idea how much a short period of constipation and stomach upset could affect someone with AD. The upset seems to be clearing up but there is a marked change for the worse in Dee's abilities.

But she remains as sweet natured as ever, thank goodness, I am very lucky - Cliff

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Thanks Norman

Norman said:
Lynne
Have you thought about having a shower fitted?
We did and it was so much easier than a bath
Norman

;) ... we have a shower over the bath, but she doesn't like it (never did really, even when completely fit & well - worried about her hair!)

Hugs

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Cliff ...

Cliff said:
Hello Margarita

Are they fresh or tinned please - don't normally shop in M & S so don't know their stock.

Many thanks - Cliff

To cut down the work involved, Asda have started selling prunes in juice in a plastic screw-top 'jar', about the size of 2 average tins. (The containers are quite useful too actually)

They are supposed to be de-stoned, but I always check anyway - don't want a broken denture to add to everything else! :eek:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
, then help her lower into water. Once she's landed

Lynne, now that sound complicated , Old fashion and dangers, my OT wanted to give me something like that, but I said No as I did not like the sound of it

This is the one they gave my mother http://www.mountway.co.uk/content.php?nID=12&langID=1

Just that we have a bath with a shower over it & my OT gave us a remote control bath seat that lover my mother ones she sits on it , the seat is hard plastic , as I life her legs in to bath , she can turn her self around with ease , as she grip rail bath on wall as she turn

Cliff the prunes are in a air tight bag, that do not have stones in them.

Cliff its worth waiting for OT to come around , because even if you own your own home , they can put a shower unit or Give you a bath seat for free from the OT section , but if you want to spend you own money , because they taking long just do it .

Last edited:

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Cliff I had huge problems trying to get susan to drink water or liquid. I now use a straw and hold the glass /cup. Works a treet. Worked now for a few weeks, even the respite helper said it was working for when they go out. Just make sure tea etc is not too hot. It maybe worth a try. Also stops a lot of mess. I was washing dressing gown / pyjamas ever day and washing kitchen floor.
cris

mocha

Feb 17, 2006
Lancs, England
Cliff.. Does Dee like sweets?
My favourite cure for constipation is a couple of ounces of Pontefract Cakes or any other liquorice sweet. As I'm pretty well hooked on liquorice and mints it is no hardship for me. Years ago my favourite was Wilko Mints. I wonder if they still make them.

Aileen

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Constipation remedies

I started something with the Prunes didn't I? And I was only 51 when I had my "Bad Trouble". Didn't realise there were so many ways of getting prunes!

Obviously a regular diet with plenty of fibre, fruit, veg is a help. But physical inactivity does increase the risk of constipation (my migraine tied me to the bed for the best part of two months - including three emergency admissions to hospital), and the constipation was only temporary (never suffered from it before or since), so while I ate a complete can (perhaps an older person should be a bit restricted) it was only for a couple of days, not regularly.

Water is essential, but don't we all find that old people don't drink water? My mum suffers from cystitis and thinks that a thimble of water a day will help. TWO LITRES MUM. Oh I can't drink that much.

Try some on breakfast cereal.

And avoid eggs and bananas for a few days.

Liquorice. That's an old one. I was always led to believe liquorice caused hard stools (and black, of course, which doesn't matter if you know its the liquorice that has cause it).

Eeeh, we have some good topics of conversation on here, don't we?

So you all now know about my constipation problem! I don't think I even told my GP. Hope you don't email it to all your friends and family!

Seriously, any experiences we can share are worth looking at, to see if they might work for our relative.

Good luck.

Margaret