A and E here I come

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
As I posted in my If I get Like that Put me in a Home thread I went to visit mum today only for her to have a fall just as I got there. They called an ambulance and I went home to see what would happen. After nine hours for my poor mum being on the floor the ambulance finally arrived. They're taking her off to hospital. Not the one next to the care home but the one 30 minutes drive away. No one from the home can go with her so I'm heading over there. I can't drive our car so my husband is going to have to take me.
I have a feeling it is going to be a long night.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
So sorry @Sarasa I had experience of A&E with dad and none of it was good. I hope your experience is better for you and your mums sake. I hope it is just something and nothing.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Back home. All the staff were amazing and so
Kind with mum. She hasn’t broken anything, and has gone back in an ambulance to her care home and I’ll check tomorrow how she is.
My husband stayed outside most of the time as it said only one carer but in the end he came in and they were fine with it. If there’s a next time I’ll ask if he can come in straight away as I could have done with him to interpret as I struggle with hearing people when they’re all wearing masks.
Off to bed now, phew.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I‘m so sorry to read about your mum’s fall. I’m glad she’s back safe in the care home. You must be exhausted.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
9 hours on the floor is shocking but glad your mum is ok'ish and back at the home. Hopefully there won't be a next time but I feel it would be perfectly understandable for you to be there as the carer for your mum and your husband as your 'interpreting carer'!

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Phoned the home this morning, mum still in bed but seems OK. I'll phone back later to see if she got up and how she was.
Husband and I are feeling washed out. He was considering going down to London to meet up with some friends but feels to tired to do that. I'm also out this evening, so I'm going to have an afternoon nap in a bit so I feel up to it. The perils of not being that young yourself when looking after someone of 93.

Emmcee

Dec 28, 2015
As I posted in my If I get Like that Put me in a Home thread I went to visit mum today only for her to have a fall just as I got there. They called an ambulance and I went home to see what would happen. After nine hours for my poor mum being on the floor the ambulance finally arrived. They're taking her off to hospital. Not the one next to the care home but the one 30 minutes drive away. No one from the home can go with her so I'm heading over there. I can't drive our car so my husband is going to have to take me.
I have a feeling it is going to be a long night.
Now that both you and your Mum (and your husband :) ) have had the opportunity to rest, are you feeling better?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
A lot better though I lost it on the phone when trying to sort out some banking for mum on Wednesday. Not having had enough sleep and struggling to understand the person on the other end due to my deafness was enough for the very grumpy me to surface.
Things have improved since then. Sorted out the banking problem with the branch, who are always amazing and have had enough sleep and exercise which always helps.
Mum has had a couple more falls, but hope we can avoid hospital. I had a zoom chat with my brother last night and I hope he can come up to see mum soon, if he’s well enough which would be good as due to his own health issues he has t seen her for two and a half years.
My husband has been great. We have his mum in care too and lots to sort out there so I’m trying to ensure I support him like he supports me.

Emmcee

Dec 28, 2015
A lot better though I lost it on the phone when trying to sort out some banking for mum on Wednesday. Not having had enough sleep and struggling to understand the person on the other end due to my deafness was enough for the very grumpy me to surface.
Things have improved since then. Sorted out the banking problem with the branch, who are always amazing and have had enough sleep and exercise which always helps.
Mum has had a couple more falls, but hope we can avoid hospital. I had a zoom chat with my brother last night and I hope he can come up to see mum soon, if he’s well enough which would be good as due to his own health issues he has t seen her for two and a half years.
My husband has been great. We have his mum in care too and lots to sort out there so I’m trying to ensure I support him like he supports me.
At times, it must be challenging for both yourself and your husband to cope with two parents in care but I'm glad that things are a bit better and hope that your Mum can avoid hospital.