A 4 legged friend

Robert

Feb 25, 2005
Having read so many sad postings on TP, I thought you may be interested in a recent happy event.

Last w/e my daughter, son-in-law, grand daughter Zoe and their dog Neo (a Samoyd - he looks like a cuddly polar bear) visited my wife at her EMI care home. Although family carers and visitors are encouraged to bring pets with them, it is rare to see any. So I suggested to Zoe (she is 11) that we introduce Neo to some of the residents. In no time at all we were surrounded by residents and carers alike and began to feel like the pied piper as we progressed along the corridor.

Almost without exception, (just one or two were a little nervious) the residents loved their contact with Neo and he revelled in the attention he received. In particular, some of the bed bound residents who had the peace and serenity of their rooms invaded, appeared to appreciate the visit as much as anyone. Some, who had previously seemed lost in their own private worlds blossomed into smiles with pats and strokes for Neo. In all we spent almost 2 hours doing the rounds on 2 floors (visiting around 30-35 residents).

The happiest point I think for us, was when we visited one lady who complete with zimmer frame and was blind as well, had tears in her eyes with the emotion and pleasure of the moment. We visited her twice.

It was humbling to see how much happiness was derived by the residents from such a simple thing as a visit from Neo and Zoe. Neo, who can be a handful at times was a model of good behaviour and Zoe who in the past has been a little 'phased' by some of the resident's appearance or behaviour, became relaxed and happy. Me, well I was almost overcome with emotion, but enjoyed it immensely.

Last edited:

TED

Sep 14, 2004
Middlesex
Robert
Hi, I dont get round to posting much, but wanted to thank you for a wonderful post .... can picture the enjoyment and love shared by all over this, good to see how sometimes even the small things can bring the greatest pleasure, I am sure you have made many people happy even for a short while.

Thanks
TED

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Hi Robert,

I loved your post too. Two hours delightfully spent and so much happiness spread amongst so many. I would kiss you if I could!

Jude

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Hi Robert,

How lovely. It may seem a little thing, but meant a lot to the residents and shows that Care Homes/residents/children/animals/everyone can all happily mix together when given the chance (and great to hear you're encouraged to do so by the Home).

Best wishes and big hug to Neo!

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Jan's home, too, encourages pets to be brought in.

Sadly, few are, but the residents do love them.

In the summer the home arranges for a mobile farm to come to the home, sheep, chickens, hamsters, ducks, pigs..... that always goes down well. This year the chickens were running round the main corridor in the public area!

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Robert, how good it was to read your post. It was a very thoughtful thing to do and I am sure the residents would agree if they only could. Well done . Love She. XX

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
How much happiness

Lovely to hear your story. Completly unrelated to my husbands AD - my brother has MS and we often take our Labrador into the Leonard Cheshire Home when we visit - again she is welcomed so much by other residents - they all relate so well to a four legged friend who just licks and wags a tail without any restrictions whatsoever - it is lovely to see. BeckyJan

Robert said:
Having read so many sad postings on TP, I thought you may be interested in a recent happy event.

Last w/e my daughter, son-in-law, grand daughter Zoe and their dog Neo (a Samoyd - he looks like a cuddly polar bear) visited my wife at her EMI care home. Although family carers and visitors are encouraged to bring pets with them, it is rare to see any. So I suggested to Zoe (she is 11) that we introduce Neo to some of the residents. In no time at all we were surrounded by residents and carers alike and began to feel like the pied piper as we progressed along the corridor.

Almost without exception, (just one or two were a little nervious) the residents loved their contact with Neo and he revelled in the attention he received. In particular, some of the bed bound residents who had the peace and serenity of their rooms invaded, appeared to appreciate the visit as much as anyone. Some, who had previously seemed lost in their own private worlds blossomed into smiles with pats and strokes for Neo. In all we spent almost 2 hours doing the rounds on 2 floors (visiting around 30-35 residents).

The happiest point I think for us, was when we visited one lady who complete with zimmer frame and was blind as well, had tears in her eyes with the emotion and pleasure of the moment. We visited her twice.

It was humbling to see how much happiness was derived by the residents from such a simple thing as a visit from Neo and Zoe. Neo, who can be a handful at times was a model of good behaviour and Zoe who in the past has been a little 'phased' by some of the resident's appearance or behaviour, became relaxed and happy. Me, well I was almost overcome with emotion, but enjoyed it immensely.

Robert

Feb 25, 2005
Hello Ted, Jude, daughter, Brucie, Shelia and BeckyJan,

Thanks for responding to my post ref 'A 4 Legged Friend', your comments, hugs and the missed opportunity of a kiss from Jude prompted me to add this belated PS.

When I left the care home on that w/e, as usual it was dark, cold and mine was the only car left in the car park. And as usual I was sad at having to leave my wife and feeling lonely. The windows on my car were beginning to frost over. Then I saw a message on the rear wind screen written in the frost, it said "I love you Grandad" (from Zoe). With a lump in my throat, I felt a warm glow of happiness that lasted all the way home.

Best wishes.

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Its the little things that mean the most isnt it, your grand daughter sounds like a very loving and caring little girl. You must be very proud of her. Love She. XX :)

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Aw! Robert, big hug to Zoe as well as Neo!

I do have a complaint, however, since first reading your thread I have not been able to get the song "A 4 legged friend" out of my head! ;) :D

Last edited:

Robert

Feb 25, 2005
Hello Sheila, daughter and Mjaqmac,

Thank you for your replies, they are much appreciated. And daughter, until you mentioned it, I hadn't thought about 'A 4 legged friend' being a song, now I'm hooked as well.

For a while today it seemed Neo would put in another appearance, unfortunately it didn't happen leaving some disappointed faces and that was just the carers !

Inspired by Brucies photo of Jan in one of his posts, thought I'd try to attach one of Neo wishing all his new friends at TP, "a very Happy Christmas".

Best wishes.

Attachments

• Neo2.gif
    Neo2.gif
    25.1 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:

boomer

Nov 21, 2005
peak district england
neo

is beautiful!! and yes ...i have seen this happen in homes where i have worked ,both with pets AND children....it seems to flick a switch on ....

my dad loves animals too...before his alzheimers he didnt have time for their cat ...now they are great pals...anne x

Robert

Feb 25, 2005
Hello all,

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied to this thread.

I have passed your responses on to my grand daughter, so that she can read them to Neo. I suspect he already knows these visits are extra special, somehow sensing his new friends are less able than some.

All being well, Neo will be engaging with the residents at the care home again on Christmas day afternoon. I'm looking forward to the event so much, I almost feel guilty. I have to keep telling myself this visit is for the residents.

I'd like to wish all at TP, in the midst of our heartache, there will some moments of pleasure to be enjoyed with our loved ones this Christmas.

Best wishes

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Pets in Nursing Homes

This morning I took Toby, one of my Golden Retrievers to see my Mum, who loves animals. She had an elderly resident in her room chatting and they made a great fuss of the dog who loved all the attention. Other residents also stroked the dog as they went by.
We've taken the dogs in before, but some of the staff who come from overseas are terrified by dogs and try to avoid them. When I quietly told Toby to sit, the nurses were really surprised that he obeyed immediately and he could behave impeccably.
It is good for the residents to have pets in to stroke but perhaps some of the staff need to have some kind of familiarisation training. It is a shame if families are put off taking their dogs in because the nurses are scared. My Mum is always cheered up when she can see a dog and she suffers from depression and is often crying.

Dave W

Jul 3, 2005
Bucks
Tailwagging

Just spotted this thread. We take Mum's dog (living with a friend of mine now) into see her from time to time, and it's always appreciated by the other residents as well as by Mum - her little dog (Honey) is a bit of a star, and a real cutie. The manageress has a dog too, and the intention was to make it the 'home dog', but it's happier under her desk, unfortunately.

Where homes will let you take in a pet, my impression is that it's therapeutic for everyone - and, for those of us who may need one from time to time, a useful means of distraction and subject-changing too. I'd suggest anyone who's caring for a relative or loved one's pet think about doing the same.

(And Neo is absolutely gorgeous, by the way!)