9th of December not to be missed

AliceA

May 27, 2016
one off drama by Jimmy McGovern and Gillian Juckes
BBC1 Sunday 9th of December @ 9.00pm. 90 minutes.

CARE with Alison Steadman and Sheridan Smith.

When active Mary suffers a stroke, developing dementia. Jenny her daughter who has two children struggles a uphill battle to get her the 24/7 care that she requires.
It is about balancing two sets of needs, and sibling impact too.

Jimmy McGovern has written hard hitting dramas before as a way of highlighting a social issue.
Hillsborough and Accused plus many others.

I suggest that we record it, perhaps not bedtime story!
The facts needs to be aired and art and drama often gets it home.

With my own situation and many it seems as Shakespeare said ' for the want of a nail ...............
The right help at the right time would make all the difference.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I like the way Jimmy McGovern handles issues so will be watching this even though I avoid many programmes which highlight dementia.

B72

Jul 21, 2018
Article in Observer today about a programme on BBC next week about the need to con confront burden of Care.

‘ We can’t dodge the issue of Care of the Elderly any longer’, Jimmy McGovern

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I am careful about what I watch but if it helps glean and spread more knowledge it is good.
Many years ago I watched the first showing of Cathy Come Home.
It altered my whole way of thinking when the play showed how easy it is to slip into homeless and children taken into care.
The film Iris was very painful but I am glad I did.
It showed how even the brightest minds are vulnerable.
I, Daniel Blake was educational too.
Perhaps we can share about the play Care on here afterwards.
It may ease any pain.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
This drama has a great cast and the co-writer has personal experience of the difficulties in getting the right care for her Mum. I'll be watching it as anything which raises public awareness of the struggles involved in caring for someone with dementia has got to be a good thing.

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
Article in Observer today about a programme on BBC next week about the need to con confront burden of Care.

‘ We can’t dodge the issue of Care of the Elderly any longer’, Jimmy McGovern

These things have a tendency to make me see red....

They're either full of platitudes or they only talk about money. It seems to be impossible for the gatekeepers of public culture to use truly radical thinking about completely different models of care, or even challenge the marketisation of care.. It's so unhelpful. And limited.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
For many this is the big debate, the one parties of all colours are not tackling.

Ree123

Nov 13, 2016
I'm glad this is being aired, and hope it portrays the experiences of all sensitively and accurately. Ive only one concern, will the public mistakenly make the connection between stroke and dementia..and overlook some types of dementia may be gradual, progressing over a period of time..It would be great if they show the aggression (as happened with dad), the repeated calls to 'want to go home', the sundowning etc...

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I am not sure but I think it is about the mainly about difficulty of getting care for someone. Accessing social care.
The writers are are experienced in their field, the actors are talented.

Getting care is difficult, it always has been. I remember how when my grandmother had a stroke her daughters were under pressure in the late 50s/early sixties. When I was 17/18 we cared at home. I did the 3.am. shift before I went to work.
We all pulled our weight but could not cope long term as her needs became so great.
Now it is even harder.
We were of generations who were use to home care, household management books often had a chapter on it.

I feel this will not be about dementia but of two daughters struggling for ways to care. The emotional issues.
I think the salutary lesson is that a fit grandmother who helps with grandchildren is suddenly struck down.
In an ideal world all of us with responsibilities should perhaps have a care plan of some sort.

In a better world society would more readily support and provide care when needed meaning we could live, laugh, love and care knowing we had a 'backstop' if we needed it.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
9th December not to be missed........ indeed!

I will not watch it - I might catch up on it - but whilst these issues need to be in the public domain, I fear nothing will ever be done. With almost 4 decades of experience of fighting, fighting, fighting authorities, I am weary of the fight. And weary that it is all about money.

Anyway, that day is my 70th birthday - can't believe it, I thought I was about 30! and I am having probably the last party I will ever throw - only ever thrown about 3 anyway!! Just hoping OH is quiet that day, so fingers crossed. I have made it a sort of 'staggered' party so not everyone is here at the same time - I am also sending them off on a Walking Treasure Hunt round the village to see the lights, at various points..........more fingers crossed:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

AliceA

May 27, 2016
9th December not to be missed........ indeed!

I will not watch it - I might catch up on it - but whilst these issues need to be in the public domain, I fear nothing will ever be done. With almost 4 decades of experience of fighting, fighting, fighting authorities, I am weary of the fight. And weary that it is all about money.

Anyway, that day is my 70th birthday - can't believe it, I thought I was about 30! and I am having probably the last party I will ever throw - only ever thrown about 3 anyway!! Just hoping OH is quiet that day, so fingers crossed. I have made it a sort of 'staggered' party so not everyone is here at the same time - I am also sending them off on a Walking Treasure Hunt round the village to see the lights, at various points..........more fingers crossed:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Sounds great fun, the day sounds well planned.
Mine is just after Christmas so can get swamped by weather and celebration fatigue, even my mother forgot it once! Once 80 I decided the whole year is is my birthday, I will celebrate anything on any day.
I too am tired of the constant battle the goal posts on wheels that move at a whim.
But, I am writing to the MP. when I get the energy. I shall think of you on Sunday. Xxx

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Sounds great fun, the day sounds well planned.
Mine is just after Christmas so can get swamped by weather and celebration fatigue, even my mother forgot it once! Once 80 I decided the whole year is is my birthday, I will celebrate anything on any day.
I too am tired of the constant battle the goal posts on wheels that move at a whim.
But, I am writing to the MP. when I get the energy. I shall think of you on Sunday. Xxx
You are so kind - thank you xxxx

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I heard Jimmy McGovern talking on Front Row on Radio 4 and he mentioned that he had never heard of CHC(Continuing Health Care) before writing the drama - he didn't know that the NHS would fund care for those in his character's situation. I hope the programme doesn't give the impression that everyone with dementia can obtain it, as that would be erroneous.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I think the character had a stroke so that may have been the primary condition. I am not sure how much it is Dementia related, even if the two can go hand in hand. I will record as we are in the habit of earlier nights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson