6 weeks free care is up

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
I only found out from one of the carers that the first six weeks were free and within a couple of days the social worker rang up asking if we needed them anymore. As they only stayed 15 mins and chatted we said no and the care agency had said that they werent really doing anything for mum yet we had to fill in a financial assessment form for the LA.

I often get the feeling the LA doesnt know what it is doing as the SW said we would have to pay as mum had savings, but later the carer told us the six weeks are free.

Hope we dont get a bill.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I'm currently fighting for a similar thing, only, it's care home charges. I heard all the bluff about savings, and thresholds. For me, I have very low income and still have to pay for care. If anyone is exempt from charges, it certainly isn't me! I have basic ESA and PIP as my own income. Still waiting for ESA to be finalised. All hubby's benefits were taken away except for a single man's pension. That's our total income without savings.

Get a financial advocate on your side - Alzheimer's Society have this service. They know how everything works and will fight your corner with you.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I only found out from one of the carers that the first six weeks were free and within a couple of days the social worker rang up asking if we needed them anymore. As they only stayed 15 mins and chatted we said no and the care agency had said that they werent really doing anything for mum yet we had to fill in a financial assessment form for the LA.

I often get the feeling the LA doesnt know what it is doing as the SW said we would have to pay as mum had savings, but later the carer told us the six weeks are free.

Hope we dont get a bill.

OK - was this after a hospital stay?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi banger 696
I believe your home care was a re-ablement package after your mum's stay in hospital - and so was free but ends after 6 weeks (dad had this too). After that the LA 'take over' and either fund the care or, if your mum is self-funding, will require payments to be organised.
Personally, I would be wary of having no more home care as if you don't continue, in my experience, Adult Services will close your mum's case and should your situation change and you want more support, a new case will be opened after you contact them again, which will inevitably mean delays.
Did you sort out exactly what support the care visits were meant to offer eg personal care in the morning, to help wash, dress, have breakfast or to make sure meals were made and eaten or for medication? As you will only want to keep on or start support which helps you and your mum.
Please consider carefully what your situation was before your mum went into hospital and keep as much support as you can to keep you both well and settled - don't end up doing too much yourself!

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Also if mum is now used to having care coming in, stopping it, will make accepting it later when really needed, a lot harder.

Bod

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Yes Jennifer it was after hospital. But the care has already been cancelled by hospital sw as the care agency admitted they were doing nothing for mum so I guess I will have to start over.

MorbidMagpie

Nov 10, 2015
England
A social worker should come and do an assessment, if it is agreed that residential care is appropriate they can put a short term local authority contract in place until the long term funding is agreed (the social worker will submit an assessment to a panel for this).

If not then they'll keep the contract in place until appropriate care is put in place at home.

Living each moment life throws at me as a social worker and with a dad with younger onset dementia.