5 Live today at 11 re inadequate care homes

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b051rhfg

I missed this unfortunately, hopefully it will be repeated. I wonder if any of these homes are BUPA homes, I have been reading an article about them and out of 290, 150 have some serious care issues, this surprised me as I always thought they were supposed to be the best, obviously not.
This investigation was conducted on January 2015 information. CQC have delayed publication of a critical report from last Autumn on one BUPA home I know of till this week. I suppose we will never know if this was the reason.:rolleyes:

I did raise the odd eyebrow or two at the tag line that kept being mentioned that some people have been washed in cold water.:mad: It has been a source of complaint at a the last 2 residents meetings I have attended.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...I did raise the odd eyebrow or two at the tag line that kept being mentioned that some people have been washed in cold water..."

Quite often because of lack of maintenance of the >>>TMV<<< which usually default to 'cold' on failure.

All it needs is a periodic (or on failure) check with an >>>IR THERMOMETER<<< on the outlet of the valve.

If the valve does not respond to adjustment it should be changed.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I missed this unfortunately, hopefully it will be repeated. I wonder if any of these homes are BUPA homes, I have been reading an article about them and out of 290, 150 have some serious care issues, this surprised me as I always thought they were supposed to be the best, obviously not.

Not so. Three of these homes - I have been reprimanded previously for mentioning this name - have been forced to close in this area over the past year or so after the LA removing all their residents because of poor care. All were mentioned on the TV news.

The NH near me is very expensive and it just goes to prove that good care cannot be guaranteed by high fees.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If the TMVs are defective and care homes want to conform to HSE they have little choice but to use cold water.

Not defending the situation but just mentioning that luke warm water in an institution can be a killer due to Legionnaires' disease.

Cold water systems should be maintained, where possible, at a temperature below 20°C. Hot water should be stored at least at 60°C and distributed so that it reaches a temperature of 50°C (55°C in healthcare premises) within one minute at the outlets.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/legionnaires/hot-and-cold.htm

To conform to HSE in a care home the water for washing should not be between 20°C and 55°C ie not luke warm, either cold or hot .

The lower limit can be hard to achieve in hot summers, so no cold showers!!!