5 hours of constantly changing incontinence pants

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Would you believe that I have just spent 5 hours doing nothing but changing my dad's incontinence pants and cleaning floors also cleaning him I cannot make dad understand that it is better to keep his pants up and mess them rather than soil the floor but tonight he has been doing it in his pants before reaching the toilet but when he pulls his pants down it has either been falling out or he has been ejecting it I think that he is having a flare up of his diverticular disease...finally got him to bed after taking his donepezil but now he's trotting round up there like a spring chicken I am tired out and know that it's going to be another night without any sleep... So just poured myself a glass of wine.. Moan over going to enjoy my ros' e. xxx sorry if the post is a little disjointed but that's how I am feeling xx

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Oh you poor thing. No advice really but just wanted to send a hug to you and hope you enjoy your wine and your night isn't as bad as you're expecting and you get some rest. Xx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I am also on night shift , sorry it has been such a difficult day for you. Hope the wine is going down a treat?! Hugs xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Hi, hope the wine did the trick! My mum has diverticula r, which we find makes her go to the loo a lot and she uses pull ups too. I've started putting an anti diarrhoea tablet in with her medication once a day and it does seem to help, not so many visits. I know it's important that with diverticula r they don't become constipated but this one a day tablet does do the trick. Another tip for helping with loose bowels is marshmallows, and jellies as in jelly babies or kids jelly sweets. I know your dad may still need to be changed a lot but if it's not so messy to clear up these may help.

Well done you for dealing with it all, another medal to an unsung hero I think. Just keep a stock in the wine too!

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Hi, hope the wine did the trick! My mum has diverticula r, which we find makes her go to the loo a lot and she uses pull ups too. I've started putting an anti diarrhoea tablet in with her medication once a day and it does seem to help, not so many visits. I know it's important that with diverticula r they don't become constipated but this one a day tablet does do the trick. Another tip for helping with loose bowels is marshmallows, and jellies as in jelly babies or kids jelly sweets. I know your dad may still need to be changed a lot but if it's not so messy to clear up these may help.

Well done you for dealing with it all, another medal to an unsung hero I think. Just keep a stock in the wine too!

Hello again mrsbusy thank you for the advice did think of giving dad an immodium.. Will try now that I know someone else gives this for diverticulitis. Will also try the jellies.. Thank you... I enjoyed my wine last night but had yet another sleepless night... During the day dad seems at deaths door but in the evening after he has taken his donepezil he seems to come alive and does not sleep and won't stay in bed.. Got a weeks respite at weekend so will be catching up on some sleep.. Thanks again all for your responses and wishes xxxx

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
Apologies, you've probably already thought of this, but do make sure that your dad is drinking enough if his stomach is that upset so he doesn't get dehydrated. Dioralyte would be the best thing if you can persuade him to drink it.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Apologies, you've probably already thought of this, but do make sure that your dad is drinking enough if his stomach is that upset so he doesn't get dehydrated. Dioralyte would be the best thing if you can persuade him to drink it.
Hi thank you yes I try to get him to drink as much as I can he pulls his face at water but I do get him to drink some.. Now if it were cups of tea he would drink them all day lol xx I

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I do hope you managed to get some rest, I can well understand why you chose your username!

I absolutely agree with the suggestions and comments thus far - an imodium will not do any harm and might make things more pleasant for both of you. Switching the donepezil to the morning also sounds eminently sensible and I, personally, I would probably try without reference to the MC (that is entirely up to you of course, I have a healthcare background and am probably more confident when juggling meds than some people). I also agree with the comment about tea. There is nothing magical about water, per se, any fluid - other than alcohol - will hydrate so don't fight a battle if you don't need to!

Here's hoping that you have a quiet evening/night today!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Donepezil can be taken morning or evening. There is no need to refer back to the Memory Clinic at all, especially as it's usually the GP who continues prescribing it. Once I went to the GP for something like that but only so that he would alter the instruction on the label so any nurse who has to give medication as instructed would know.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Thanks all!!!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions I am going to switch dad's donepezil to mornings.. To start with i gave him to him this afternoon and tomorrow it will be in with his morning meds... Just hope I don't get my wrists slapped by the memory clinic lol but then they don't have the sleepless nights.. About the immodium I am going to try that also
So thanks again to you all
Just hope it will make a difference at night.. And yes I have a supply of wine in the rack xxx

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Just a cost saving tip, don't buy Imodium at £3 plus just buy the shop brand of the same drug for £1 exactly the same thing.