340m package for care families

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Heard it on the news today and, being cynical, just wondered whether they were going to do the usual, give with one hand and knock it off some other allowance

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
Yes

Grommit said:
Heard it on the news today and, being cynical, just wondered whether they were going to do the usual, give with one hand and knock it off some other allowance

they will, perhaps not as simplistic as that but as taxes havent been raised then the money will have to come from somewhere, and it will mean cutting another service or resource elsewhere, it has to.

panda

Apr 16, 2006
Surrey
I have a disabled child who at this moment in time is driving me insane, it is not her fault and I try very hard to not get angry with her. Last year I was assesed by social services and classed as an emergency case as I am trying to look after my very challenging dissabled daughter along with my other three children hold down a very demanding full time job and run my home and mums home and finances and any thing else she needed. I am also a single parent so have no other means of support. I was awarded six hours a week care for my daughter to give me a break but have recieved no help yet. When I phoned to ask why I had not recieved any help I was told in a very rude way there is a waiting list and other peopl need help. It is now over a year since I was put on that list and I fully understand why that lady jumped

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Panda,

Could your GP not contact SS on your behalf to try to hurry things up. It sounds as if you have far too much to cope with.

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Dear Panda,
I think it is disgraceful that nobody has considered your family as a whole unit and taken into account the fact that one of your four children is disabled and you are also caring for your mother on your own.
There seems to be so much red tape and people have to go to separate departments for each problem. Is there a voluntary organisation in your area, that would represent you and get things moving? Perhaps you could contact your MP.
I do hope you manage to get some help soon and find a more sympathetic social worker who can look at the entire situation.
Best wishes
Kayla

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Panda

What you are coping with is just too much. I'm not surprised you are at the end of your tether.

I cannot understand why you have had to wait so long for support. I think Sylvia's advice is good. You should see your GP and explain how much pressure you are under, and cannot cope any longer. He should be able to put pressure on SS to get you some support.

If you feel forceful enough, you could go to your SS office and demand to see the manager. Refuse to move until you have seen someone. This works for some people, but you have to be feeling mentally strong enough. I don't think I could do it.

But you do need help, one way or another. Please try.

Let us know how you get on.

Love,

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I say this with a heavy heart panda , In this day and age & all the money they say they are investing , its the people like you that never get it unless your at your tender hock & phone Social services and tell them what you said

it is now over a year since I was put on that list and I fully understand why that lady jumped

You tell SS that and your see all the services that you have every right to have coming your way xx

Last edited:

Helena

May 24, 2006
I am afraid all the SS money is going to help those who walked into the country illegally

sure as heck have never paid a penny into the system

and are most definitely not English/British

Its all a total disgrace

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Helena

we have to be positive and move forward , panda has to find the inner courage to reach out open up talk to doctor in how she coping with all the caring , as suggested above to see doctor so she can get all the services that the doctor can referral her to .

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
My GP actually has a notice up in reception asking patients to tell him if they are a carer. i havent done so as my mums in a nursing home, so I dont really deem myself as such, but its a positive sign

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My GP had notices up and cards to fill in.

I took one, but at the time my husband wouldn`t accept he had Alzheimers so refused to sign it. It could not be accepted with out his signature.

I wrote to the GP to complain, but rules were rules, and if my husband wouldn`t sign it, I could not be acknowledged as a carer.

How daft was that !!!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
We also have a notice, Natasha. Apparently the practices get extra money based on the number of carers they support, so they want people to register. (Don't know if the extra money only applies in Scotland, hopefully someone will know).

Helena

May 24, 2006
Sorry Grannie ........but the truth hurts .......not a question of being racist ......its a fact

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts