33rd Anniversary

Kijo

Feb 9, 2014
Yesterday I asked B what is special about July 4th for us, and all he could think of was the U.S. holiday. Today, when it was obvious he still could not remember, I told him it was our anniversary, and he was surprised a year had passed since the last one. When we were at dinner he said "I forgot our anniversary, but I didn't forget that I love you every day". I quietly caught my breath and pushed down the sadness.

On his own, during dinner, he started to reminesce about our first movie he took me to and then I asked him about the first concert. He couldn't remember it and then he really turned and couldn't remember my sister's name (a hint as to the name of the band - The Hollies), his mother's name, my mother's name.....it was just all behind a wall that came down with a thud. I quickly pushed back the tears and we stopped talking.

Another roller-coaster day in the land of dementia with the man I love, and miss.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh goodness what a roller coaster. You have to hang on to him saying he loves you every day. It's massively sad, I know. Wishing you strength together. x

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I can feel, and understand, your sadness Kijo.

I'm so sorry you had such an up and down day, but take heart that your Husband knows and can express his love for you.

Take care

Lyn T X

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
When we were at dinner he said "I forgot our anniversary, but I didn't forget that I love you every day". I quietly caught my breath and pushed down the sadness.

Another roller-coaster day in the land of dementia with the man I love, and miss.

What a heart-breakingly sad and poignant post. :(

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Yesterday I asked B what is special about July 4th for us, and all he could think of was the U.S. holiday. Today, when it was obvious he still could not remember, I told him it was our anniversary, and he was surprised a year had passed since the last one. When we were at dinner he said "I forgot our anniversary, but I didn't forget that I love you every day". I quietly caught my breath and pushed down the sadness.

On his own, during dinner, he started to reminesce about our first movie he took me to and then I asked him about the first concert. He couldn't remember it and then he really turned and couldn't remember my sister's name (a hint as to the name of the band - The Hollies), his mother's name, my mother's name.....it was just all behind a wall that came down with a thud. I quickly pushed back the tears and we stopped talking.

Oh Kijo, you made me cry. I am so sorry for what has past and more so for what the future brings, but what cannot ever be erased is the great love your man has for you that he can push this dreaded illness aside for just one special moment and give you something you will never ever forget. Total admiration for you both. X Shelagh:)

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
This is very easy for me to say and it's not at all meant to sound flippant, but you have 33 years of memories to relish, he still knows he loves you. It's incredibly sad for you but those many happy years can never be erased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew2024