!!

jarnee

Mar 18, 2006
leicestershire
Hi

Dad moved to his permanent residential care about 10 days ago....he had settled well into the respite one and was chatty & friendly with one and all.

He was just the same at this home for the first 2 days, the suddenly everything changed. He became aggressive and actually hit someone. (most unlike him....never been a violent man in his life)
Fortunately no lasting harm was done.

However, the staff called the doctor who, having listened to the story of the last 2 months ( taken from his home into respite care with no warning, wife died ....though he is unaware...then into this new home) said he is very confused and it is probably cos of all the changes. Dad clearly doesn't understand why he is there, where he is or anything. He thinks he's about 53 ( somedays it is 25, 42, anything really !!! :) ) and wants to go out to work (In reality he is 73!! and no chance of working as a builder ever again:D )

Doc is referring him to mental health. Staff at the home (Some of whom I know anyway and trust implicitly which is why we chose it) say the mental health doc will come next week and do a proper assessment so he can have the right medication for this stage & symptoms of AD. (At the moment dad is just on quetiapine from GP)

GP prescribed higher dose of quetiapine whilst waiting for mental health doctors next week. In the mean time, dad has gone from being the friendliest of people to someone who turns his head away and pulls his lip up in a sneer when anyone ( except me) tries to speak to him....he still chats and laughs with me

Is this familiar to anyone else? Do you think the mental health doctors will be able to do anything for him? I know I can't have miracles, but .....well, you know how it is !!:rolleyes:

Cheers

Jarnee
X

Trebor

Mar 21, 2006
up North
What you describe isn't at all unusual. There are a number of potential factors which can account for these changes in behaviour. Increased disorientation due to changing accommodation may be the issue but unfortunately this is unavoidable and usually improves as the person settles in.
A trained clinician should always consider depression - people with dementia are not immune from this after all.
A physical screening may be useful to ensure that your dad's confusion isn't worse due to chest/urine infections.
Due to your father's dementia and that of other residents there may have been clashes, disagreements or misuderstandings between them that staff havn't picked up on.
Ask the staff if they are doing a behaviour chart. This may identify some sort of pattern which can point to a trigger.
As for medication. Quitiepine isn't the only medication that can help although the options are more limited these days.
Im sure things will settle down given time. Hopefully this will be achieved without using medication too aggressively. If larger doses are utilised this should be reviewed when things settle down.

jarnee

Mar 18, 2006
leicestershire
Thanks, Trebor,

I am told that the mental health doctor comes around every three weeks to review each of the 4 residents with AD so I feel reassured that he won't just be put on tablets and left on them regardless of pregorssion of the illness.

This is still very new to me and I feel a bit like an overprotective parent....I must try and learn to trust the professionals.

Jarnee
X

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
When my mum moved to her new nursing home she seemed perfectly happy for a few days. Then she turned extemely nasty towards my sister and me. I did not see her behave this way towards the staff and if she did when we were not there then we were never told. After a few days the nastiness subsided and she has been fine ever since.

I have heard people describe a 'honeymoon period' when people move to a new home or into a home from their own home. Then reality hits and maybe it's like the 7 year itch, only it happens sooner! Hopefully this is what your dad is going through now and he'll settle down soon.Also, I am sure Trebor's suggestions will be very helpful. Keep us posted on how things go, I really think things will improve soon. :)

jarnee

Mar 18, 2006
leicestershire
Thanks, Noelphobic,

I notice you are based in Liverpool....that's where we are from originally and dad is a typical scouser.....loads of chat, cheek & humour ;)

I do hope that things settle down..at least I know this is not uncommon, so I'll just have to bide my time.

Jarnee
x