3 to 4 weekly recurring event

toonpete

Mar 22, 2018
Hi - I’ve just found this forum and am wondering if anyone has come across this problem that my mother is experiencing. She has recently been diagnosed ( within last 6 months ) with vascular dementia. Approximately every 3 to 4 weeks she rapidly goes downhill and usually vomits. As soon as this happens she is extremely vacant and takes approximately 2 days to recover to somewhere near where she previously was. During her downward spiral she starts to lean to one side quite badly and has trouble walking. She has been taken to hospital and the doctors etc and bloods and urine do not show any signs of an infection and she is not dehydrated. No one can explain why this is happening or whether it is part of the dementia itself. As I have never experienced anyone with dementia or associated illness’s any help would be appreciated.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi and welcome to TP
The leaning to one side and problems walking are according to the nurses in the home down to constipation. I see it quite often and it's usually the same ones, one day they're leaning to on side and it get's worse as the day goes on, sometimes but not often some lean forward but it's usually to one side. It seems to be common knowledge amongst the staff, I don't know what they are given but it's a small amount of a clear liquid. My wife did it once and they gave her this stuff, some form of laxative I assume, next day she was fine.
K

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Same thoughts as Kevinl and mum's constipation was usually due to some of the medication she was taking, although gp did once mention Vertigo as a possible cause. I initially thought that all the leaning was just due to her dementia, but she has not been constipated for long time and of course there has been no leaning.

toonpete

Mar 22, 2018
Same thoughts as Kevinl and mum's constipation was usually due to some of the medication she was taking, although gp did once mention Vertigo as a possible cause. I initially thought that all the leaning was just due to her dementia, but she has not been constipated for long time and of course there has been no leaning.