3 months in new homes problems

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Started off very good care was great but recently care had taken a slow decline. Pad not checked for over 8 hrs sometimes not pulling enough thickner in drinks making mum cough some nurses giving mum tablets with no drink and leaving them in her mouth not checking to see if they been swallowed get accused of feeding my mum to fast and making her cough when the drink for lunch does not have the right quantities of thickner in it and they won't give you some and moan they do been to the manager a couple of times and nothing has come from it should I send a email to the care company about the situation thanks sorry for the long rant

Last edited by a moderator:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wonder if there have been staff changes @jelba.

This could affect the quality of care and is why Talking Point doesn`t allow people to recommend care homes. Things change.

The changes you are witnessing though are unacceptable . If the manager refuses to discuss this with you I would send a formal complaint to the care company.

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
Started off very good care was great but recently care had taken a slow decline. Pad not checked for over 8 hrs sometimes not pulling enough thickner in drinks making mum cough some nurses giving mum tablets with no drink and leaving them in her mouth not checking to see if they been swallowed get accused of feeding my mum to fast and making her cough when the drink for lunch does not have the right quantities of thickner in it and they won't give you some and moan they do been to the manager a couple of times and nothing has come from it should I send a email to the care company about the situation thanks sorry for the long rant
As has been suggested here, Staff changes can make a difference, but SHOULD NOT in fact be an excuse for lack of care. You can gauge good practice in several ways. The way staff talk to each other and certainly to residents and attitude generally. Also, when you call 'on the spot' without any forewarning, will give a reasonable perspective on things. But as things were seemingly satisfactory at the start, you should have a word with the Care Manager and ensure that any significant points (medication) are adhered to on the Care Plan. If you feel that a situation has become seriously ongoing, then the CQC (Care Quality Commission) will advise, albeit they do not address single issues. An 'inspection' due can promote action in terms of improving standards of care. At the end of the day, your mother's care and future welfare is affected by everything which takes place in a facility. Good and disciplined management usually ensures good practice. You should expect nothing less. Touching on serious cases of neglect as a general point, the Local Authority/Council should have an Adult Safeguarding Team in place, who will address concerns directly on your behalf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL