3 great days of respite

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Agzy, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Agzy

Agzy Registered User

Nov 16, 2016
    Moreton, Wirral. UK.
    my OH, Pauline is fine at looking after herself at present and, although it can be (is) very challenging, she truly appreciates that I am still fit and well enough to continue caravanning and walking. Accordingly I have joined a solo travellers caravan club and just spent my first 3 night stay with them in Shropshire walking the long Myndd. Home now relaxed refreshed and enjoying the sharing of the memories and photographers with Pauline.

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Good news @Agzy.
    When I had weekend breaks I felt they were as refreshing as a full week away. I hope you will be able to take many more breaks like this.

3. Agzy

Agzy Registered User

Nov 16, 2016
    Moreton, Wirral. UK.
    That is the idea Grannie G, strike while iron is hot or Dementia is ‘controlled’.

4. LynneMcV

LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    Really glad to hear you got the chance to do this. Doing what we can while we can is the best approach :).

5. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Only went up there a couple of times Agzy, nice spot. Sounds like a good trip, and even better when you can share the memories and photographs.

6. Loopiloo

Loopiloo Registered User

May 10, 2010
    Female
    Scotland
    That sounded lovely Agzy and also the sharing later. We had a wee touring caravan and a big awning and found it a wonderful way to "get away from it all" my husband love walking especially the Highland hills, fishing and photography and I also enjoyed photography and watercolour painting. When we went off doing our own thing (a mixure of that and shared outinginge and experiences. You also meet such nice people caravanning.... and we could take our two dogs!

Long may you continue, Agzy! I would have after my husband died two years ago had I not lost my mobility due to various non-age related conditions. Though perhaps I would have changed the caravan for a small motor caravan. Perhaps... I did love our caravan. Our second home and we went off for lengthy spells all over the uk. as well as weekends not so far from home.

Keep on enjoying spells of respite - it is a long winter and so far weather has been good, a bonus in our climate!

Loo xxx

7. Agzy

Agzy Registered User

Nov 16, 2016
    Moreton, Wirral. UK.
    Thank you Loo, the both of us are caravanning right now and is only time Pauline will do it as we visit her brother and sister in Kent. Sorry to hear of your own problems and sometimes life doesn't seem fair x