3 Care Homes Closing.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Three care homes closing or “mothballing” down here in the SW. The company I worked for is closing dads home that he went to respite for and is transferring some of the residents to other homes and some of their other homes. But family will be consulted, apparently. Poor residents! As if it’s not bad enough with Covid they have this to contend with. So it looks like dad couldn’t go back if he wanted to. Apparently it’s only until things approve..

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
There was a piece on the news the other day about care home vacancies being very high at the moment.

I think many homes are only profitable when they are fully occupied so some have closed wings or mothballed the whole place, as you say.

Are they empty because so many old people have died of covid?

But it's bad news for families - less choice, possibly having to travel further to visit, etc, not to mention the trauma of having to move someone.

The basic problem here is that these places need to be 'profitable' in the first place. It's always profit first, people second :(

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
They are about half full. To do with staffing and not able to get them.( They have not increased their wages minimum only) Plus to many chiefs and not enough Indians as we say.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Hi. That is correct. I would be surprised if they reopened to be honest. But you never know.
From the link:
A consultation is being launched on the decision to close three of xxxxx's 16 homes and the result will be announced on 24 February.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
From the link:
A consultation is being launched on the decision to close three of xxxxx's 16 homes and the result will be announced on 24 February.
Yeah I saw that. Having worked for the company it will be interesting.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
What was The Banjoman’s Care Home closed down due to Covid last year. A resident brought it back after a stay in hospital. I think sixteen residents died and a lot of staff were ill so the place had to close for safety reasons. I’m told it is being converted into flats.