2nd Convention for people with Dementia

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi all,

This year we are holding the 2nd UK Convention for People with Dementia, which will be held at the Belfry Hotel at Sutton Coalfield, Nr Birmingham, on Wednesday 24th October.

The Aims are:-

Provide a meeting place for representatives of groups of people with Dementia from all parts of the United Kingdom, at which they can share:

Experiences of influencing the services they receive.
Have a say on policy issues.
Campaigning.
Raising public awareness of Dementia.
How they have been involved in their Alzheimers Association.

The closing date for this event is the 5th October. For further information
Phillipa Hobson, Living with Dementia Developement Officer,

After my diagnosis, I went to the Ist UK Convention which was held in Newcastle and since then I have never looked back. Thanks to Phillipa Hobson and members of the UK Planning Group, this event completely turned my life round and I started a new life with the Alzheimers Society.

Best Wishes
Ken

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Hi Ken

I'm coming with my husband and looking forward to meeting you... dare I say thats the main reason I agreed to attend!;)

Linda x

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Linda,

It will be nice to meet you and your husband at the Convention.
You will have to introduce yourselves as don't know that many people outside the Living with Dementia Working Group and the moderators off Talking Point.

I have been nominated as the Chair of the event this year which is an honour, as the last Covention was the event which set me up with the Alzheimers Society.

The most frightening thing is when someone introduces themselves as someone who has been reading about me on Talking Point. Because it then makes this website look smaller than it is.

I look forward to meeting you both.

Best Wishes

Ken

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Wow, Ken, you're so famous now you should remove your avatar and start charging for signed photos! :)

Seriously, though, very well done!

Love to you and Janice,

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hello Again,

I feel like I am getting out of my depth now.
When I went to the First convention, or should I say when I was dragged there by my wife (because I thought it would be doctors talking about the illness, and I really did not want any of that, but as you ladies know the wife always knows best), I was staggered to see it being run by People who had Dementia and Alzheimers.
But I never thought that by asking to get more involved that I would have gone so far within 18 months. It has been like a roller coaster ride and something I would and could never have dreamt of or imagined after my diagnosis.

I feel very lucky that I can do all these things when others can not, and I can only hope that by doing this, it helps others somewhere down the line. If I can get others involved then I will feel happy.

Best Wishes
Ken

janc

Apr 16, 2007
County Durham
Hi all,

I was at the convention yesterday, oviously as Ken was Chairing it. I have never felt so proud and so humble that my husband could do such an event. I know he has done speaking events but somehow this was different. For those who dont know this event was run by people with Dementia, for people with Dementia, ably assisted by their carers and organised as Ken put it by little Phillipa. Phillipa Hobson is the Alzheimers Society Living with Dementia Development Officer, and she has got alot of work out of the Living with Dementia Working Group and the Scottish Dementia Working Group. I am sure that all who attended this day will have had food for thought and hopefully we will get more people helping with awareness

janice

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Jan and Ken.

I really wish these occasions were more accessible to all. I`d love to have been able to attend.

But thank you both for giving us a taster.

Love xx

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
I have to say a big thank you to all involved in organising and running this fabulous event!:)

Vic and I had such a wonderful thought provoking and enlightening time. It was lovely to meet so many people from all round the UK, very special people each and every one. We forged new friendships and had more quality time with some we had met before from our area.

Janice and Ken you are the most delightful couple and I feel really privileged to have spent time with you both.

Tomorrow is our support group meeting what a lot I have to tell them. I have spent part of today trying to put a short report together no easy task I can tell you!

The only regret I had was having to leave before the end (due to train time) but I am very proud of the certificate of attendance given, especially as it had been signed by Ken. I hope Ken was given a rousing cheer after his closing address.

So special thanks Ken and Janice hope we meet again soon.

Linda x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Janice, as has been said already, it is a great pity more of us are unable to attend.

I am sure your Ken was absolutely brilliant, can understand you being proud.
Thanks for updating us. Hope you are doing O.K. Love n'hugs,

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hello all,
May I thank you for all your kindness and support. I am just starting to unwind again (Saturday) as this was probably the biggest event I will ever be involved with and it was very hard work. As many of you know those with Dementia struggle to keep going for long periods, so I was having problems after lunch, but in the end I think I went into overdrive.

I must say that I can not thank the members of the Society staff (Phillipa Hobson), the Alzheimers Society, Living with Dementia Working Group, along with the Scottish Living with Dementia Working Groups, who have worked together over many months to get this Convention to this stage.
I have to admit that I could never have got anywhere without Janice who has kept me going over this period while trying to carry on with her own projects.

It was very interesting meeting all those other people who have Dementia and Alzheimers, along with their carers, from all over the UK(as we all feel that we are going on the same journey together).

I was also honoured and very pleased to meet our very own Linda Mc, and her husband who had travelled up for the event. I sometimes think that meeting members of TP is like meeting long lost members of our families we all seem to be so close.

In answer to the question of the event being open to others, I have to say that we only have a certain amount of money to play with, and we are duty bound to ensure that people with Dementia or Alzheimers, and their carers are given the first option as it is primarily for them. It would be nice to invite others but I can not see it happening unless we get more money to play with.

As my internet has finally died, we have had to get a (pedal up) dial up system so that I can keep going until the end of the month, when we hope top get a new broadband supplier. This is driving me potty as it stops at 4pm, so I get bored and frustrated after tea becuse I can not use TP. Its dreadful when you miss being involved with something like this, but I hope it will not be long.

Best Wishes to you all

Ken

Last edited:

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Congratulations

Dear Ken,
I thank you most sincerely for what you are doing for A.D./Dementia. It really makes a difference when someone with the illness can talk about how they feel. In doing so it gives us Carers' and little more understanding of hat you are going through. For my husband Peter, I kept a daily diary and wrote done everything he use to say.
God bless, and thank you. Christine