28 and caring for Mum (57) with early onset Alzheimer’s

Saz_CaringForMum

Nov 8, 2020
I joined back in December and really haven’t utilised this forum but I recently I have been feeling overwhelmed with the amount of responsibility resting with caring for my Mum.

Our case is ‘tricky’ because my Mum’s Power of Attorney’s are family who live in the Republic of Ireland and cut contact from us back in January of 2020. I have had to reach out to local legal authorities based on the recommendation of social services. They completed a capacity test and Mum is ‘on the cusp’ of not having capacity.

I’m frustrated because I helped set Mum up with care; financial support & raised awareness of her case in the Republic of Ireland for the 2.5yrs she was there.

It feels like I’m starting from scratch in the U.K. & the law is different here - so all the research I did to best support my Mum doesn’t always count.

I feel very alone having moved out of London to Newcastle (where my boyfriend is from & where we could afford a much larger rental to have Mum live with us). I’m not sure if it’s Covid that’s had an affect, too - but in Ireland the local support was phenomenal.

Tonight I reached out to Dementia U.K. to see if I could get access to a Dementia Adviser or Admiral Nurse.

I would also love to connect with people in a similar situation to myself, being in my twenties and caring for someone with early onset Alzheimer’s is not easy but I do not regret it because my Mum is so much happier & I am getting to share so many special memories with her.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I was going to suggest that you contact the Support Line @Saz_CaringForMum as yours is a particular issue, but see that you have contacted Admiral Nurses
maybe still give them a call as the advisors have a lot of knowledge to legal topics

I hope you find a way of getting the help your mum needs ... she's fortunate to have you looking out for her

Saz_CaringForMum

Nov 8, 2020
Thank you @Shedrech - I heard back from the Admiral Nurses & referred to the local office. Hoping to see if we can get their support /if we need a referral from them tomorrow morning.

LouJT

Aug 12, 2020
Hi there, I’m 33 and my mum has Alzheimer’s she’s just turned 60, and was diagnosed at 57. Can’t help with the legal side. But also find the caring side a challenge. ?

Saz_CaringForMum

Nov 8, 2020
Hi @silkiest we actually managed to get this completed with her and received confirmation it was received. It’s just a longer process with Covid unfortunately.

@LouJT - have you had any luck with care? I’ve recently been looking into getting a PA for my Mum. I’d never considered it before but unfortunately my Mum’s started having epileptic style seizures and her care needs are increasing.
PeoplePlus offer services to support you with hiring a PA if you’re still struggling.

Andy O

Aug 19, 2021
Hi Saz I just wanted to make contact with you. My wife has early onset dementia ..she first showed signs when she was about 57. I live in Ponteland near Newcastle and I guess we may be in a similar position for supporting eachother with advice for local support. Hope you are doing ok.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
@Saz_CaringForMum I’ve only just found your post. I hope things are going well for you.

I am in my early 40s, caring for (and living with) my mum who has Alzheimer’s. It really can be tough!

Do you work? Get carers allowance/credit? I am just starting this journey.

Franz

Nov 1, 2021
Hi,

I'm a new member. I looked after my mum who had FTD. I was 26 when I started caring for her. She sadly died in 2013. Joined the forum as FTD was big part of my life but rarely talk to any one about it these days.

Happy to offer any tips - I handled mum's finances and all her care/social services stuff. Or just happy ro listen and empathise - I know how tough it can be. thanks

Carerin20s

Jan 1, 2022
Hi,

I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to say hi as another 28 year old caring for my Mum who has Vascular Dementia. I can't say much in terms of the practicalities, as I'm lucky to be able to share my responsibilities with my Dad and my siblings. But in terms of the day-to-day caring, I know it can be joyful at times and other times exhausting. And not something you'd ever expect to be doing when you're in your twenties.

I'm struggling a bit to find and connect with other people taking on caring responsibilities as young(er) adults, so if anyone would ever like to chat about this experience, I'm right here :)

tjmh

Feb 12, 2022
hi you sh0uldbe proud of your self my wife has vascular
only 60 its is all knew to me so going through a lot of different feelings
it feels like your riding a wave

Happy Hampton

Feb 22, 2022
I joined back in December and really haven’t utilised this forum but I recently I have been feeling overwhelmed with the amount of responsibility resting with caring for my Mum.

Our case is ‘tricky’ because my Mum’s Power of Attorney’s are family who live in the Republic of Ireland and cut contact from us back in January of 2020. I have had to reach out to local legal authorities based on the recommendation of social services. They completed a capacity test and Mum is ‘on the cusp’ of not having capacity.

I’m frustrated because I helped set Mum up with care; financial support & raised awareness of her case in the Republic of Ireland for the 2.5yrs she was there.

It feels like I’m starting from scratch in the U.K. & the law is different here - so all the research I did to best support my Mum doesn’t always count.

I feel very alone having moved out of London to Newcastle (where my boyfriend is from & where we could afford a much larger rental to have Mum live with us). I’m not sure if it’s Covid that’s had an affect, too - but in Ireland the local support was phenomenal.

Tonight I reached out to Dementia U.K. to see if I could get access to a Dementia Adviser or Admiral Nurse.

I would also love to connect with people in a similar situation to myself, being in my twenties and caring for someone with early onset Alzheimer’s is not easy but I do not regret it because my Mum is so much happier & I am getting to share so many special memories with her.
First of all, I’m sorry for your situation. Typically PWD is much older so they have older, retired people to care for them. At your age you are probably getting a career, a spouse, children.
You may know this already but you need to complete a Revocation of POA. You can sign it on her behalf. Once it’s filed in the court, it’s revoked. Good luck. God will bless you for what you’re doing for your mum. ?

Happy Hampton

Feb 22, 2022
First of all, I’m sorry for your situation. Typically PWD is much older so they have older, retired people to care for them. At your age you are probably getting a career, a spouse, children.
You may know this already but you need to complete a Revocation of POA. You can sign it on her behalf. Once it’s filed in the court, it’s revoked. Good luck. God will bless you for what you’re doing for your mum. ?
I have late stage 4 AD. I‘m 63 so this started in my 50’s. I think I can answer questions you may have about what’s going on or what to expect int he future. I also have an adopted 15 year old so I can relate a bit about the young age as she’s my secondary carer. Best of luck. Bless you.