25p?

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
My mother received a letter...or, at least I as her attorney did. Apparantly, from her 80th birthday she will receive an extra 25p per week pension.
I think this is not only an insult but it must cost more than that to administrate!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Yes I always thought that was bizarre as well. I'm not sure when it started but it's been going on for several years (although not, I believe, as long as it would need to have been if 25p represented a "real" increase).

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
When I received my increase in my disability money, I can buy a stamp !!!!
If I could work I would. My disability has been going on for 21 the years and what changes were to be done for the Disabled, like many promises not done.
What the Goverment say we have to live on is absolutely taking us for a ride.
Christine

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Pay Rise......

Carers Allowance has been increased..the increase is less than £2 per week..

I'm fortunate enough to be able to pay off our mortagage...the redemption statement arrived today..there will be a fee to pay off the mortgage..:eek:

I've just paid £76.00 to stay on the nursing register for another year..in case I need to work..

I've given up a very well paid job to be here to look after my husband..please don't misinterpret this..it was my choice..

But the elderly and the vulnerable in this country are not recognised..the benefits system is too complex..

Those most in need appear to be overlooked..

Love gigi xx

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Yes, it likely does cost more to administer the 25p than it would be to just give it to everyone. However, there'd be political fallout from either stopping it or giving it to all.

I believe the LibDems have pointed out that anyone who gets about £4 or less in Pension Credit actually costs more than that for the system to administer the payment.

The Carer Allowance has gone up by a lot less than £2. Less than £1 in fact!

Helena

May 24, 2006
Gi Gi

Do not actually pay to redeem your mortgage ........LEAVE £1 owing on it and they have to safely store the deeds for free and you do not pay a redemption fee

If you store them at the bank or a solicitors its going to cost a lot more

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Thankyou..

Helena..

That's something I didn't know!

Many thanks..

Is this tried and tested?

What about interest? Sorry to be a pain..we have an interest only mortgage...:rolleyes:

Love gigi xx

Helena

May 24, 2006
It should still be the same

You are paying interest on x

So if you pay off x all bar £1 they will have to store your deeds

Also remember that if you keep a mortgage open its infinitely easier to resurect it in the future if say you want to reverse mortgage your home to have money to live on in old age

Equally you might be far better off on the Benefit system if you keep your Mortgage going

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Thanks Helena!

Paying off the mortgage will save us a sizeable sum each month..now I've left work to care for Eric it makes sense to do that.

I don't understand how not paying it off could increase benefits...
We would be means tested and frankly don't think we'd qualify for any more than the Carer's All. and Eric's Attendance Allowance.

Love gigi xx

Helena

May 24, 2006
What other benefits you might get obviously depend on savings etc
But I would check very carefully all benefits like Council Tax relief etc before you do actually pay it off

Citizens Advice should be able to help you calculate things