2 months later and I've still not touched mum's wardrobe

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
I haven't really done anything in mum's bedroom to be honest; maybe a little tidying or throwing away a few things that won't be missed, but one area I haven't touched at all is mum's vast collection of clothes.

Mum had some lovely clothes that I will definitely be taking to the charity shop, but for some reason I'm finding it difficult to conjure up the enthusiasm to sort them out.

How long did everyone else leave it before sorting out their parent's clothes? ?

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
I sorted my mum‘s clothes about a month after her funeral when I went there to stay for a whole week so the 3 of us siblings could make a start. My Dads clothes were taken to a charity shop the day after he died as we cleared his room in the CH.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
I haven't really done anything in mum's bedroom to be honest; maybe a little tidying or throwing away a few things that won't be missed, but one area I haven't touched at all is mum's vast collection of clothes.

Mum had some lovely clothes that I will definitely be taking to the charity shop, but for some reason I'm finding it difficult to conjure up the enthusiasm to sort them out.

How long did everyone else leave it before sorting out their parent's clothes? ?
Well I only started on my Mum's clothes a couple of weeks ago and she died in November so I think when you're ready will be fine. I found it difficult taking off the name labels. I had the clothes picked up from the door by a charity. I couldn't bear to part with all of them so I've still got a case full of the best ones which I plan to give to local charities if they haven't been overwhelmed with donations.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Unless you need to do due to a constraint I think you will do it when you are ready.
My Mum cleared my Dad’s clothes out a week after his funeral (and it was @ happy marriage). By contrast it took me 6 months before I cleared out my first partner’s clothes and 12 years on I still have his favourite jumper.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
I kept a few things of my Dad's, his postman uniform and dance shoes ( he was an excellent ballroom dancer ) and a trilby he also wore but it seems so much harder to sort out Mum's things. Taking the name tapes off was heartbreaking and made me cry !

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Mum and I cleared out Dad's 3 months after he died.
I'd already contacted the local hospital, who asked for nightwear, both new and used. I think they also wanted new underwear and socks, so we were happy that these things were going to be put to good use.
Salvation Army wanted warm jumpers and coats for the homeless and everything else went to the charity shop.
We found getting started to be the hardest thing to handle but felt better when we'd finished

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I cleared my mother`s clothes once she was settled in her care home. It had to be done to put the house on the market to pay for her care.

I took a week`s unpaid leave to sort out her house.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My sister and I cleared out my mother's clothes either one or two days after she died in August 2016. But there are other things I still have, such as all her ID and rewards cards. I even have her library card from 2000. There are a few other things I have. One day, I will dispose of them but not today.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
It took me a while to clear dads clothes, most went to the clothes bank due to charity shops being closed but I still have lots of bits and pieces (too many really) I need to whittle it down a bit but there is plenty of time. There are some things that I will never part with like his seaman's logs and diaries, they are a bit special but I can't imagine what will happen to them when I die.

I have a small suitcase of photo's that need sorting and as for pictures of ships, I don't know where to start.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I took my husband’s clothes to a charity fairly soon after he died. I kept a number of things though. One of the items I kept is a t shirt and I take it with me whenever I travel anywhere (well I used to when we were allowed to travel!). There’s no way I could ever get rid of it though as it’s so important to me.

There’s no right or wrong here - I think everyone needs to do what is right for them. I think you should just take your time and do it when the time is right for you.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
I removed all my husbands clothes into a cupboard and closed the door. Nearly three years later my son and I binned them without a word of discussion. It was easier that way. His three shed full s of stuff is the challenge for the summer.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mums everyday stuff I cleared from her care home after she died, but she had had some lovely clothes that I couldnt bare to throw out when she moved into her care home, so they were still in a wardrobe in my house. It was a year before I could let them go. I still have boxes of her possessions packed away and stacked in the spare bedroom three years on.........

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Mums everyday stuff I cleared from her care home after she died, but she had had some lovely clothes that I couldnt bare to throw out when she moved into her care home, so they were still in a wardrobe in my house. It was a year before I could let them go. I still have boxes of her possessions packed away and stacked in the spare bedroom three years on.........
So have I 18months on. Still in boxes in the spare bedroom. I know some of it is medical paperwork which will be shredded but I want to look everything over first before I do & at the moment I just don't want to. Like Canary mums clothes were cleared from the care home within the week. Most went to charity or were kept at the home for another resident who didn't have much. I kept a cardi which I wear & pull it round me like a hug.

Angtrog

Mar 25, 2020
Six weeks on and I am still sorting out my OH clothes, I have got them into 3 piles now. First pile are for the bin. second pile clothes that I am not sure about and the third pile are for the cash for clothes shop which has just reopened . Any money that I get am hoping to donate to the alzheimers society , I just cant understand why they havent got charity shops if they did they would be inadated!!!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
So have I 18months on. Still in boxes in the spare bedroom. I know some of it is medical paperwork which will be shredded but I want to look everything over first before I do & at the moment I just don't want to. Like Canary mums clothes were cleared from the care home within the week. Most went to charity or were kept at the home for another resident who didn't have much. I kept a cardi which I wear & pull it round me like a hug.
Yes I kept one of mums jumpers that she had knitted herself and I still wear it occasionally and it will be ten years this year. It's very comforting just like a hug.

cobden 28

Dec 15, 2017
Six weeks on and I am still sorting out my OH clothes, I have got them into 3 piles now. First pile are for the bin. second pile clothes that I am not sure about and the third pile are for the cash for clothes shop which has just reopened . Any money that I get am hoping to donate to the alzheimers society , I just cant understand why they havent got charity shops if they did they would be inadated!!!
I volunteer half a day a week at a local charity shop, and we're overwhelmed with clothes donations! I think it's where shops have recently opened up after the lockdown and people are wantinmg to get rid of stuff after having a clear-out. Perhaps it might be possible for you to phone up charity shops in your locality and ask if they're accepting donations of clothing at the pressent time; and if you can't get out yourself to deliver your bag of donations, maybe someone could come and collect from you?

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
I enjoyed reading all those comments... thanks all. So I did start sorting them out, and I have 3 carrier bags worth that I'm going to take to the charity shop, and a small suitcase of clothes that mum wore a lot that I couldn't bring myself to part with at this moment in time.

What shocked me though was how many coats I kept finding... ended up finding 14. I've never seen so many coats in my life ??

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 23.36.15.png

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I enjoyed reading all those comments... thanks all. So I did start sorting them out, and I have 3 carrier bags worth that I'm going to take to the charity shop, and a small suitcase of clothes that mum wore a lot that I couldn't bring myself to part with at this moment in time.

What shocked me though was how many coats I kept finding... ended up finding 14. I've never seen so many coats in my life ??

View attachment 64167
i would phone the charity shop first as they are inundated with clothes as just reopened.

Suze99

Nov 8, 2020
I can emphasize as I'm currently at my late mum's bungalow sorting out. I lost her in January. We are now putting the property on the market so trying to sort out some things. Leaving most of the furniture in until it sells.
Must admit I've been dreading it and had more than a few tears. In the end put some catchy music on the radio while I worked.
Got a pile for the tip, one for the charity shops and a third to keep.
It's so hard turning out the place I grew up in. I actually found a pile of my mum's diaries and it was so nice seeing her writing again.

Sue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75