1st respite for dad

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Took dad today for his first respite he will be away for a week, I'm so worried as he relies on me for everything from telling him when to go to bed to putting clothes out for him ect ect I have put his things away for him in his room but I'm sure he won't know what's what and what to wear tomorrow. This morning before we went he tried to get himself ready but put pajamas on instead of clothes. Not really asking any questions just wanted to voice my concern I know respite is all about a care break but think I am going to spend the week worrying

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. We can't help but worry, it shows we really care.
I hope you are able to get some really good R&R this week .

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
It's so hard to sit back and let others do the looking after - but you need a rest/change so allow yourself to worry but not all the time.
It's a new experience for your dad but not for the carers, so they will find ways to make sure he is comfortable and secure - let them shoulder those responsibilities for this week.
Maybe it's a chance for you to see that others can care for your dad - not in the same way you do, or to replace you in any way - but as an addition, so that you can look after yourself as well and keep being the lovely daughter you are.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Thanks so much for the kind words so glad I found this sight I have read quite a few posts now and I am touched by the kindness of other people and how much support there is. I suppose that this nasty disease connects us all in one way or another
Xxx

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Took dad today for his first respite he will be away for a week, I'm so worried as he relies on me for everything from telling him when to go to bed to putting clothes out for him ect ect I have put his things away for him in his room but I'm sure he won't know what's what and what to wear tomorrow. This morning before we went he tried to get himself ready but put pajamas on instead of clothes. Not really asking any questions just wanted to voice my concern I know respite is all about a care break but think I am going to spend the week worrying

Just a short update... Dad's respite seemed to go well, he was well fed and as far as I could tell was treated well, the one complaint that I have is that there didn't seem to carry out the activities that they had listed and the residents just seemed to sit in the lounge but I think that dad found someone that he was able to talk to... However on Sunday when we went to bring him home he was trying to take the fixtures and fittings with him lol I would use respite again even though I did miss him... Didn't miss the middle of night activity thou was sound asleep catching up

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Thank you for the update.
Am glad Dads first respite went well and that you were able to catch up on some much needed sleep.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Good to hear you made it through dads respite, I hope you got some rest without too much worry. At least you have tackled the first time now.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan