1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1st Respite CANCELLED!

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by reedysue, Nov 12, 2019.

1. reedysue

reedysue Registered User

Nov 4, 2014
    Scotland
    Today mum should have been going into respite for a week.

It became clear that the nursing home mum was booked into were not keen to take her, they said to me and the lady from Adult Health & Social Care that if she did not settle or caused disruption we would have to go and collect her, the home in question is over 2 hours away on the Isle of Skye so driving backwards and forwards was not an option.

Today I am going to start ringing round nursing homes in Inverness (1 hour away) to see if we can get respite at short notice, me and OH are both retired so booking in advance is not necessary. I find it ridiculous that the only city in the highlands has no bookable respite in dementia nursing homes.

2. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Unbelievable!! I hope you can find something. Good luck!

3. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    That is a disappointment, Sue. Good luck finding something.

4. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    How upsetting.

It`s even more upsetting that you can be considered capable of managing your mum`s care @reedysue while a registered dementia care home with a team of carers are concerned they may find her too disruptive.

5. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I’m so sorry to hear that Sue.

6. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    I feel for you. Have you got back to the lady that accompanied you because she should be able to advise you?

MaNaAk

7. Bikerbeth

Bikerbeth Registered User

Feb 11, 2019
    Bedford
    How frustrating to say the least