18days post hospitalisation with Bronchitis

Skip

Nov 30, 2015
Our mother (85yrs on the 9Nov-15) succumbed to the fall-out from Alzheimer's; leaving 4 siblings a husband of 90yrs on Sunday (29th Nov) morning. Having stopped eating more than 3weeks ago, water intake was via drip but reduced 8days ago as body over swelling... therefore, nothing in - nothing out. Eyes never opened... although, a odd cough and yawn reflex worked. Response to Touch had gone... Medical staff unable to get a response in any form... Had involuntary jolts more towards the end. But her body relaxed more towards the end with the odd pain relief. Mother was transferred from a Care home, which could not handle her effectively, thus getting a chest infection, not eating - not recognising the 'No swallow syndrome', this eating issue apparently went on for weeks with no real intervention - simple stuff you'd think, there is more... Mother was graded a 4 - in April and not one Official body (3 involved) would get to the job and move her to a Nursing home... in Aug-15, Mother had reach 4x4 grades. It seems all Official parties waiting for the problem to go away... ha... it did with her passing. The Hospital Mother spent her last days in was great, washed and turned her numerous times each day, even knew how to clean her teeth... love and peace with her always

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I am so sorry you had such a difficult journey prior to the death of your beloved Mother. I am so pleased for you that in her final days and the time that you spent together she found peace and I hope that you will too in the knowledge that you did everything that you could.

I don't know what to say about the journey through our care system except that we have such a long way to go to ensure that the quality of the lives of the people we love and who have given so much is excellent - at the moment we are not even close to good and in so many cases it is still appalling. An organisation called compassion in care always want to hear and understand the paths that our older people have had to travel.

God bless you and I hope that you too will find calm and peace - I would think that is what your Mother would have wanted. Thinking of you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. Please accept my condolences. It's never easy to say goodbye.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Welcome to the forum, Skip, and please accept my condolences on the death of your mother. It sounds as though things were extremely difficult for you all in the last weeks, and I'm so sorry to hear this.

Sharing your thoughts here might help, so please do keep posting if you want to talk.

Thinking of you.