18 hours sleep

Lainey 127

Nov 25, 2012
Liverpool UK
Afternoon to all,
I'm worried about Mum today. She hadn't been to bed for 30 hours and was behaving oddly yesterday. Today she's been asleep for 18 hours. She woke briefly when the doctor called to see her. He said he wasn't too concerned about her, he checked her for any sign of infection and said he's happy that Mums not ill, she's entered a sleep phase which is common with dementia sufferers in the late stages.
I'm worried sick though, surely she can't go without fluids for long?
Anyone else been through this? Thanks all.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Several times my husband has slept for a week with me waking him to go to the toilet and have something to eat and drink four times a day, The doc examined him and could find nothing wrong he thought he might have had a brain bleed or have a infection, but could find nothing he went back to normal when the week was finished , he even did this once when we went on holiday in a caravan for a week he just slept all the time, He isn't at the late stages though, the doc said it was just one of those things,

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Bill has slept on and off for most if the last 3 days. Things are very much as Jeany describes. x

Lainey 127

Nov 25, 2012
Liverpool UK
Thanks Jeany and Izzy
It seems it's part of the dementia then; something else to get used to! I'm just remembering when I was a carer for one of my aunts and she was like this for almost a week before she died. I can't get it out of my head that Mum might be on her way out.
I just hope she wakes soon so I can at least give her something to drink; I might try putting the fan on and see if it perks Mum up a little.

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
My mum WAS a terrible sleeper always up pottering around drinking tea early in the morning??

Now she is sleeping alot id say 14 hours a day which is good for me(sorry but its the only peace I get) I have to wake her for injection then she goes back to bed.

Its awful but im glad when shes sleeping as her moods are bad right now.:(

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
MIL sleeps for approximately 6 hours in the day and then she is in her bedroom for approximately 10hrs. Bliss. Complete bliss :D

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi Lainey, Dad had cycles in hospital where he was awake all day, then the following day he was so deeply asleep they couldn't get him out of bed. If I roused him he would answer with his eyes closed, even drink that way, then go back to sleep.

As long as you can get some response from her, and she's been checked for any other issues it seems it is just a progression I'm afraid. Yes, it is very distressing and such a worry to think they've taken another step but we have no way of controlling these things. There's a lady in her 90's in the same section of the nursing home as Dad, she curls up into a ball on the air chair, and sleeps all day, and she doesn't have dementia. But I've seen her pop up, grab her walker and move very quickly to her room, return, curl up in the chair, and go back to sleep.

Stephanie, xxx

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My Mum sleeps a 3 hour night, very night, ( yes it is bliss)
She also sleeps in the day, and when she does so its 'fast asleep' not just dozing.

Lainey 127

Nov 25, 2012
Liverpool UK
Thanks for your replies everyone, much appreciated. Mum slept for almost two.days in the end but she woke up when the carer came and it was as though nothing had happened! Today she's back to the non - stop noise and I'm almost wishing that she'd go back to sleep!
Today she wouldn't get out of bed because she was terrified she would fall. It's exhausting trying to keep up with all these phases isn't it?
Hope you're all having a good day :)

Roseto

Jan 24, 2012
Epsom, Surrey
My Dad aged 88 seems to sleep a lot, especially in this hot weather. It can be quite upsetting, especially when he cant be persuaded to get out of bed and he looks so frail and vulnerable - although he has regular check ups and physically for his age he is doing well. Then the next day when i see him he is up, washed and shaved and a different person. I guess it is just one of those things we have to learn to accept.