18/22 on remote MoCa test

MamarC

Dec 3, 2021
Hi I have an mri of head due this Saturday and have just got copy of the clinic letter after my initial telephone assessment. In the letter it says I scored 3.75 on the ‘Short IQCODE’ and 18/22 on the remote MoCa. I of course immediately googled it and I think it indicates a diagnosis of Mild Cognitive Impairment which will be a relief as I think I can improve with lifestyle changes (less stress) and does not always lead to full blown dementia. I wondered if anyone on here had a similar score and what it meant for them. I’m currently not driving as I can’t trust my concentration and I’ve had a couple of times I can’t recognise where I am even tho I’m in a familiar place. I have also woke up confused a couple of times. I’m also in process of selling my business as I just can’t concentrate properly and everything is taking me twice as long to do in the office ?‍♀️ I’d love to hear from anyone else with this diagnosis (Altho I realise it isn’t my diagnosis until I’ve had the scan and face to face consultation) cx

Eogz

Sep 9, 2021
Hi MamarC,
I'm going through similar, I had my MRI just before Christmas and waiting for the Neurology appt.
I don't have a huge issue with memory, it is the other aspects of cognition that are troubling.
Concentration is challenging
Multi-tasking is out of the window
Some coordination and balance issues (seconds only)
Some perception issues - not recognising familiar places and once home (though these are short lived and I can get back)
Some recall issues names etc
I'm also hoping for MCI, it would be the preferred option, there isn't much else that offers a better outcome, at least with MCI there is a chance it won't progress to Dementia.
However there are also other things M.E, and MS (you can get MS symptoms Neurologically before physical sometimes).
At this stage the hardest thing is not knowing, the speculation is worse.
I want to make plans with my partner for the future, I want her to be secure. It might not come to that, but you don't know until you are told for sure.
I'm at the same place you are at the moment, I'm more than happy to share, hope it goes well.
Though straightforward the MRI is interesting, I got a little anxious (surprised me, as I am not normally anxious).

MamarC

Dec 3, 2021
Hi Eogz thank you for your reply. Yes I too have noticed a tiny deterioration in my balance. To be honest when I did the mo assessment I felt like I was doing really well until they got to the ‘naming things beginning with…’ but then I was totally stumped! It’s a very clever test as it quickly switches your brain to one part to another I think. We are both lucky to have access to medical treatment at this stage and of course lifestyle changes can make such a difference. I have already agreed sale of my small business I built from scratch shortly after my daughter died - I threw myself into it and worked a lot of hours so that may also have something to do with it. Just got to find some way of paying the mortgage now ?‍♀️

MamarC

Dec 3, 2021
For anyone reading this and are looking at how the Montreal Cognitive Assesment (MoCA) score works I think I’ve worked it out in that if you have a remote test (ie over the phone) you are scored out of 22 not the usual 30. I found this on how to convert it:- The MoCA Blind is scored out of 22 but is converted back to 30. Example: 19/22 converts back to 30 by performing the following equation: (19×30) ÷ 22. The total converted score is 25.9 or 26/30 whic

Eogz

Sep 9, 2021
Hi Eogz thank you for your reply. Yes I too have noticed a tiny deterioration in my balance. To be honest when I did the mo assessment I felt like I was doing really well until they got to the ‘naming things beginning with…’ but then I was totally stumped! It’s a very clever test as it quickly switches your brain to one part to another I think. We are both lucky to have access to medical treatment at this stage and of course lifestyle changes can make such a difference. I have already agreed sale of my small business I built from scratch shortly after my daughter died - I threw myself into it and worked a lot of hours so that may also have something to do with it. Just got to find some way of paying the mortgage now ?‍♀️
Yes, that's the one that stumped me, name things beginning with 'P' I could name them but my thinking all went awry.
I'm 51, so they got excited and have gotten me a consultant etc.
Yep, the timing of knowing something is wrong, albeit mild in terms of dementia, is good. It's still life changing bit gives you time to make changes and the decisions you want is a lot better.
Often people leave it too late and that causes many different issues.