15 minute visits or something like that?

sue_ellen

Dec 26, 2015
I'm my dads main carer - cleverly done by our local gp and notice that we are not able to tap into some services dad could benefit from and some that would relieve some pressure off me.

He has established dementia but is happily living at home. His mobility and continence are becoming an issue and he's now been diagnosed with asthma on top of diabetes and prostrate cancer.

I am starting a new job in a few weeks and have concerns about keeping an eye on him because of my working pattern.

Is there any FREE help we can tap into. Am fed up of being fobbed off by all and sundry ...

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

InnerGeek

Feb 9, 2016
Hi sue_ellen, that sounds really stressful. I was in a similar boat until I walked into my local Age UK office one day and begged for help. I kept a diary of the type of help I was giving Dad, and the things he struggled with then booked an appointment through my social services access centre for a needs assessment for Dad. From there, we have been provided with social services-funded carers visiting four times a day, plus one day a week at the day centre. This has for the most part enabled me to go back to work full time. Age UK also helped me to apply for attendance allowance, which we are currently using to book a lady to come in and take Dad for walks and to mentally stimulate him

I'd say Age UK and social services would be your first port of call. Good luck, I hope you get the help you need.

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
Also try crossroads - the care people, they can give you three free hours of care a week - a Godsend.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
Also try crossroads - the care people, they can give you three free hours of care a week - a Godsend.

age uk sitting service cannot be used for when you are at work it i for 9 hrs respite a month to be able to go out. crossroad do dr appointents although not tried that yet

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
age uk sitting service cannot be used for when you are at work it i for 9 hrs respite a month to be able to go out. crossroad do dr appointents although not tried that yet

Well I could use them while I was at work! The situation is different in each borough and I got and still get plenty of sitting hours from them. It is determined on a needs basis and it also depends on the borough what you have to pay for sitting service and day care. Luckily I live in the one borough that doesn't charge for home care.

You need to ask social services for a needs assessment. And a carers assessment for yourself. Say they have a duty of care for a vulnerable adult at risk. Tell them that you are working full time and can't give up your job. If they don't offer you support he'll have to go into a home. That's usually more expensive which might prompt them along.

Also try your local Carers Centre, Age UK or Alzheimer's Society for advocacy if you are strapped for time and they are stringing you along.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Every place is different - it really is a postcode lottery
A carers assessment from social services is your first step and assessment of your Dad's needs at the same time. It may be that he will benefit from a day centre too
Phone the duty desk of your local adult care services and tell them that you need an assessment.
Also phone Age Uk 0800 169 2081 and they will do a benefit check and help you with any forms that you need to fill in. It is a free phone number.

jasmineflower

Aug 27, 2012
Hi Sue Ellen

Your post makes it sound as if you have been railroaded into accepting more care duties than you are happy with.

Despite the pressure put on by the GP and SS, no adult can be made to care for another. I think you need to ask for a care assessment based on the fact that you will no longer be available to provide daytime care because you will be at work. You need to force them to take some of the responsibility. While you are doing such a great job for free they won't be rushing to help.