14th April

maria29al

Registered User
Mar 15, 2006
426
58
Warwickshire
Hi all,

Happy Easter to everyone.

Its Dads birthday tomorrow...he will be 78. Have been thinking about what to get him. He cant sit properly without slipping or falling and cant feed himself. He is on thickened food.
Have thought about a CD of relaxing music or maybe a talking CD...

Any other ideas?????

M
x
 

Áine

Registered User
Feb 22, 2006
994
sort of north east ish
Hi M, I've always found chosing presents for my dad difficult, and with decreasing abilities it certainly doesn't get any easier. There's nothing he needs .... not that I can buy him anyway :(

What I've been trying to do recently for my dad is to put together a photo album/scrap book of stuff that means something to him. I don't want to risk his nursing home losing old family photos and stuff so I've been having them copied so he can keep stuff in his room next to his chair. Sorting out his house has revealed loads of stuff that he's kept over the years ..... his school certificate certificate, acceptance to his professional institution, even a letter dated 1930 telling his mum and dad that he'd passed his 11+ and they should be thinking about which school to send him to! I think he'll like having those around him and it'll help his sense of self and self esteem.

It takes time to do though ...... and if your dad's birthday is tomorrow .......
 

jarnee

Registered User
Mar 18, 2006
181
leicestershire
Hi

I don't know what your dad can do/ is aware of, but,......

I found on old print of a photo of the area dad grew up in.....Charing Cross, Birkenhead (Circa 1965....he would have been about 32 )...in case anyone knows the area !!! :rolleyes:

He really loves to look at it and it gives us something to talk about.

The label on the back says "frith" I think. I'm not trying to give a company a "plug", but the website has photos of all over the country and very reasonably priced too.

Jarnee
x
 

noelphobic

Registered User
Feb 24, 2006
3,452
Liverpool
jarnee said:
I found on old print of a photo of the area dad grew up in.....Charing Cross, Birkenhead (Circa 1965....he would have been about 32 )...in case anyone knows the area !!! :rolleyes:
Jarnee
x
I know Birkenhead a little, being from the other side of the river - the 'proper scouse' side :D

However, even though Geography is most definitely not my best subject, I had Charing Cross down as being darn Sarf ie London :confused:

Please enlighten me!
 

noelphobic

Registered User
Feb 24, 2006
3,452
Liverpool
jarnee said:
Charing Cross....down sarf !!!!!?????:p
It definately exists in Birkenhead, as a "true" scouser should know ;)
Jarnee
I can spell, I was being facetious (sp?!). True scousers don't live in Birkenhead :p

Looks like a very interesting photo though. Maybe they named the place in London after it :D
 

jarnee

Registered User
Mar 18, 2006
181
leicestershire
Being from the "posh side".....the Wirral, we have butlers and other staff to do the spelling for us (Given them a long weekend off for Easter)

:D :D :D
J
 

noelphobic

Registered User
Feb 24, 2006
3,452
Liverpool
jarnee said:
Being from the "posh side".....the Wirral, we have butlers and other staff to do the spelling for us (Given them a long weekend off for Easter)

:D :D :D
J

Sent them to the Pool for their hols then have you lol :D
 

Kriss

Registered User
May 20, 2004
513
Shropshire
On Dad's "last" birthday we managed to find a photo of HMS Formidable the carrier Dad served on in the Pacific and created a special card for him. Oddly enough I happened to come across that picture jst a couple of days ago when cleaining up an old pc. I'm thinking I might do some work on it in Photoshop and then get a proper printed and framed copy.

There are a lot of local books showing pictures of various parts of the Wirral including Birkenhead and we used to have a few laughs pouring over them. I recall one of Dads favourites gave the stories of the Wallasey Wreckers who would scavenge the spoils from wrecked shps as they washed up on the shore and if a "survivor" should try to scramble ashore they would be knocked on the bonce and then thrown back into the waves! He retained his sense of humour right till the end.

Pictures and music would be my suggestions
 
Last edited:

jarnee

Registered User
Mar 18, 2006
181
leicestershire
Kriss,

Must be something to do with that part of the country(Liverpool & surrounding areas)....dad's sense of humour is still there.....about the only part of the "real" him that still is

J
 

noelphobic

Registered User
Feb 24, 2006
3,452
Liverpool
jarnee said:
They wish...don't pay them enough for New Brighton !

J

:D :D :D
You could always send them to Southport. Just come back from a bit of retail therapy there plus a fry up in Woolies and a cappuccinno (sp?) in Starbuck's. That's as close to a holiday as I'll be getting this year. :eek:
 
Last edited:

Norman

Registered User
Oct 9, 2003
4,348
Birmingham Hades
There is no better or funier humour than Liverpool,"The village by the Mersey".
Some of the best shipmates I ever had were Scousers.:D

Kriss
have you had a look on EBAY,I save ship postcards and there may be something there for Dad,I have found some interesting ones
Norman
 

Margarita

Registered User
Feb 17, 2006
10,824
london
maria29al

Wondering what you got your dad ? I would of said a CD walkman or a radio with a CD playing the music he likes
 

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
5,379
NW England
noelphobic said:
You could always send them to Southport. Just come back from a bit of retail therapy there plus a fry up in Woolies and a cappuccinno (sp?) in Starbuck's. That's as close to a holiday as I'll be getting this year. :eek:
Know that one, Noelphobic! Took my son there Saturday for crazy golf and the 'penny arcades' and felt like saying 'treat this as our family holiday' - it's about all we'll get! Anyway, as one does with 'Nike' mad 11-year olds, found ourselves in JJB... full of Everton shirts, with a 'token' Liverpool strip on display?

Been losing sleep over this ever since. :D Anyone enlighten me?
 

jarnee

Registered User
Mar 18, 2006
181
leicestershire
Hi TF

My only suggestion is that, naturally, Liverpool strips all but sold out as they are so much in demand. Lots of Everton strips left 'cos no one wants them :D

Jarnee
 

noelphobic

Registered User
Feb 24, 2006
3,452
Liverpool
Tender Face said:
Know that one, Noelphobic! Took my son there Saturday for crazy golf and the 'penny arcades' and felt like saying 'treat this as our family holiday' - it's about all we'll get! Anyway, as one does with 'Nike' mad 11-year olds, found ourselves in JJB... full of Everton shirts, with a 'token' Liverpool strip on display?

Been losing sleep over this ever since. :D Anyone enlighten me?

I was in Southport on Saturday too! We may have passed one another! However, I didn't go to JJB or crazy golf or penny arcades - hasn't inflation turned them into 50p arcades yet?!!!

I went to Starbucks, Woolies, Nationwide Building Society, Morrisons, Health Rack and Picadilly Cards. I got some money out from an Alliance & Leicester ATM (I work for them so have to help them keep going!) Also Boots, Superdrug and Marks and Spencer.

Did our paths cross at all?

Enjoy taking your son out while he'll let you, My son is now 17 and am only allowed to be out with him while I'm on 'taxi' service! :eek:
 

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
5,379
NW England
jarnee said:
Hi TF

My only suggestion is that, naturally, Liverpool strips all but sold out as they are so much in demand. Lots of Everton strips left 'cos no one wants them :D

Jarnee
Fell right into that one, didn't I??:D
 

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
5,379
NW England
noelphobic said:
I was in Southport on Saturday too! We may have passed one another! However, I didn't go to JJB or crazy golf or penny arcades - hasn't inflation turned them into 50p arcades yet?!!!

:
My days, you put 10p in a coin machine to get 10 pennies - now they accept £20 notes!!!!!! (Still get a good run for your money with a bag of 2ps!!!!)

You were probably in Morrisons the time I was sat with a cappucino (paper cup) half watching my raggamuffins playing 'Morrocan golf' - and looking across to the supermarket and thinking 'what the hell are we having for tea?'!!!!

One of these days, I WILL get organised!:)