117 Aftercare

venp

Jul 20, 2021
Thank you @Linsac

Could I ask if the CH you decided on is one that the council brokerage team contacted on their own or one that you researched. May I ask how you broached that conversation? Did you share places with your mum’s SW that you researched and then the council contacted them to see it was a viable fit?

Thank you all so much, Ven

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Thank you @Linsac

Could I ask if the CH you decided on is one that the council brokerage team contacted on their own or one that you researched. May I ask how you broached that conversation? Did you share places with your mum’s SW that you researched and then the council contacted them to see it was a viable fit?

Thank you all so much, Ven
Hi Sorry for the late reply. Yes I found the CH, went to see them and they told me they would take her on NHS funding for 6 weeks initially and then onto Section 117 aftercare funding thereafter (this was subject to them seeing mum's careplan which the hospital sent over). I rang the hospital discharge team and said this is where I would like her to go, they have a room available and on hold for her. After a bit of faffing about, the hospital SW got in touch with the CH and they agreed a price.

Once she was there, another SW got in touch and did an assessment on mum. Once it was decided that she needed 24 hour care, I made my feelings known that I wanted her to stay there. They did say they might offer me "better value" homes but again, I made it clear that I would reject them as she was just starting to settle at this home.

Good luck, please ask if you need any further advice.

venp

Jul 20, 2021
Dear @Linsac, thank you so much for sharing your experience. I thought to message you privately but it might be helpful to someone else in the future to chat here.

There is a review meeting today, am feeling quite nervous about all of this. Thank you so much for sharing your experience as I read somewhere that it is possible to approach CH though I was not sure how it would work in terms of the fees and linking the home with my mother's SW.

Please may I ask if you do not mind if the home understood the process themselves or if they asked about funding figures? Could I ask if anyone explained if it is standard to start on 6 weeks of NHS funding and then move onto Section 117 aftercare funding thereafter please? I think sometimes the terminology is so important, I feel like I am wading through unknown territory, with such high stakes.

Please may I ask if the home you found quoted a price that you felt might be interrupted as 'better value'? Sorry I hope that does not sound rude. There seems to be quite a variation in price now that I am calling around.

Sorry for all of the questions, I hope it is okay. Please may I also ask if you might be able to explain a little more about rejecting homes. I ready somewhere that nearest relative and person who hold POA for health and finances can rest to have input in the choice of CH. I am finding that the hospital are starting to get a bit pushy because of various delays on their side and my mother's needs changing since recovering from covid. I have been told from the clinical nursing staff overseeing this process that I would be given possibly three choices and would have to pick one, which has been causing me a world of anxiety as I concerned what these choices might be. I have been calling around but have not been sure of what to say, your experiences are so helpful.

Thank you to everyone, I cannot say enough how much your words of support and experiences have been helping.

Many many thanks,
Ven

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Dear @Linsac, thank you so much for sharing your experience. I thought to message you privately but it might be helpful to someone else in the future to chat here.

There is a review meeting today, am feeling quite nervous about all of this. Thank you so much for sharing your experience as I read somewhere that it is possible to approach CH though I was not sure how it would work in terms of the fees and linking the home with my mother's SW.

Please may I ask if you do not mind if the home understood the process themselves or if they asked about funding figures? Could I ask if anyone explained if it is standard to start on 6 weeks of NHS funding and then move onto Section 117 aftercare funding thereafter please? I think sometimes the terminology is so important, I feel like I am wading through unknown territory, with such high stakes.

Please may I ask if the home you found quoted a price that you felt might be interrupted as 'better value'? Sorry I hope that does not sound rude. There seems to be quite a variation in price now that I am calling around.

Sorry for all of the questions, I hope it is okay. Please may I also ask if you might be able to explain a little more about rejecting homes. I ready somewhere that nearest relative and person who hold POA for health and finances can rest to have input in the choice of CH. I am finding that the hospital are starting to get a bit pushy because of various delays on their side and my mother's needs changing since recovering from covid. I have been told from the clinical nursing staff overseeing this process that I would be given possibly three choices and would have to pick one, which has been causing me a world of anxiety as I concerned what these choices might be. I have been calling around but have not been sure of what to say, your experiences are so helpful.

Thank you to everyone, I cannot say enough how much your words of support and experiences have been helping.

Many many thanks,
Ven
I am just on my way out so will message you later today but the Care act 2014 states that you can have a choice in the accommodation provided. You do not have to accept what is offered but if the council find a home that meets her needs and you refuse it, if the home you choose is more expensive then you could be asked to make up the shortfall. I didn't discuss fees at all with the care home I approached. Most homes are aware of the funding process and as I said previously, not all homes accept funding.