117 Aftercare and Continuing Care Funding Advice

venp

Jul 20, 2021
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for this space, I have been reading your posts for a number of years and it has been a great help. I am not sure if I am posting in the correct place, sorry if I have not.

My mother was recently sectioned under a Section 3 after a Section 2, after being moved from a local hospital to a psychiatric dementia ward. She has had almost 20 reoccurring UTI’s due to covid causing difficulties with receiving dental care and the knock on affect on her diabetes. Her delirium has been becoming worse each time. My mother is 67 and very mobile which makes things challenging with her care needs.

I hoped to ask if anyone might have experience with 117 aftercare, we were told by the consultant today that a package of care is being planned for my mother. I wanted to ask if anyone might have experience with moving their loved one to another town / city and if 117 aftercare is transferable from one city to another? I have been planning a move to another city with my mother (as I am her carer) as her home is not accessible, on two floors and it will allow me to continue my studies.

Please may I ask what kind of packages of care you might have received via 117 aftercare and if it was a difficult to put in place?

Please may I also ask if anyone might have any experience with applying for continuing care once their loved one received 117 aftercare?

Thank you all so much,
Ven

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @venp
A warm welcome to posting on DTP

What a tough time for your mum and for you

Sorry, I have no personal experience to share, though I wonder whether something here may help

And for someone to talk to in real time there's the Support line

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
We don't have experience of moving someone from one area to another on Section117 so can't help you with that one but we do have experience of care under section117.
When MIL was ready for discharge to a nursing home her social worker gave us a list of 8 homes local(ish) to us. We visited all 8 - pre Covid! - and made a short list of 4 that we thought might suit her. The home were then passed her details/ report of needs - 2 were full with waiting lists but one of them would not add her to the wait list. Of the other 2 one - with a new 17 bed wing to fill - declined to take her. The remaining one was not phased by her needs/behaviour and that is where she went. Almost 2 1/2 years later she is still there , still on the section 117 and very well looked after.
With regards to 'care packages' - the hospital will provide details of her needs and the home will put together what it needed to meet those needs.
We haven't considered CHC funding as can see no reason for the section 117 being taken away - she is not getting any better with Dementia - there is an annual review and there has been no indication that she will not continue to receive it until the end.
Hope this is a bit of help.

venp

Jul 20, 2021
Thank you @Shedrech and @thistlejak for your kind responses, it’s really appreciated.

Starting to try and think in advance of my mother’s discharge meetings. So hard to know what to request when you don’t fully understand what is available.

Many many thanks, Ven

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
With regards as to what to request - not sure you need to request anything - the hospital will do a discharge report stating what she needs, this goes to any home considering her and you would then have a discussion with them - this is where the advice is 'ask them what behaviour they won't accept' and 'tell them how it was prior to the sectioning and how she is now in your opinion. We didn't ask anything of the home she is in now- they just knew what she needed and still do. The only thing we decided was that the newer type of home with long corridors for her to walk about in were better suited to her than the older type of homely big houses with lots of small rooms.

update2020

Jan 2, 2020
Section 117 funding means the LA covers the entire care home costs. SW will find a ch willing to accept. There may not be many and it may be ‘out of area’ ie. a long way from home. Although s117 funding is reviewed annually it is less likely to be withdrawn in the case of dementia since this is more likely to get worse rather than better. CHC not an issue - my husband’s care home started an application but it wasn’t pursued since he was already fully funded by LA under section 117. The ch did get the FNC element but none of this involved me in any way - other than an interview over the phone.

My husband’s care home was in a different LA from our home and that delayed the process by about three months which meant longer in hospital. Extremely unfortunate. In our case not because I moved but because there was nowhere in our area that would accept him.

venp

Jul 20, 2021
Thank you so much @update2020 for your response. Sorry to ask, may I ask the meaning of:
LA: local authority (I think)
CHC: continuing health care (I think)
SW: ?
FNC: ?

Thank you so much, Ven

venp

Jul 20, 2021
Thank you so much for explaining @Violet Jane

Please may I ask if the 117 funding is different to funded nursing care?

Many thanks, Ven

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
117 funding is awarded on discharge from a section 3, it is one of the few cases where first party (the patient) voluntary top up of fees is allowed. In most cases top funding has to come from somebody else, usually the family.

FNC is awarded on medical care needs insufficient for CHC

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
117 is different to FNC.
117 comes on the back of sectioning on a section 3
FNC is if there is a need for a nurse to administer any of the treatment or medication that the person requires.
MIL has both 117 & FNC - the FNC goes directly to the care home and , in our case, does not reduce the first party top up amount.
First party top up's are peculiar to 117 in that the person with dementia (PWD) own money can be used to pay the difference between the 117 amount ( about £725 per week at the moment) and the care home fee. Social services have to find somewhere that will take just the 117 amount but it might be some distance from the family, so we opted for the top up using MIL's money ( we have Deputyship)

update2020

Jan 2, 2020
Just to add: I don’t believe that my husband’s care home did accept the LA rate but after literally everywhere else turned him down the LA had no choice but to pay. I’m pretty sure of this because one SW told me they were trying to find somewhere cheaper with some indignation.

When we were paying ourselves it was over £7000 a month. There were a lot of younger people there with “challenging behaviour “ and some came from very long distances (100 miles). It was a brilliant, humbling, place. But not cheap.

The only good thing about being sectioned (3) is that it gets you this extra help. I still wouldn’t wish it for anyone though. I don’t think I will ever ‘recover’ from it all.

NaughtyNana

Jul 2, 2021
Amersham Bucks
OMG! Reading all these shares has put the fear of God into me. £7000 a month. How on earth do people afford to pay that? I am totally confused by all the abbreviations and have not as yet gone down the road for carers as at the moment I am managing by myself albeit at times very stressful as I am no spring chicken. I want to look after my husband as long as I can however long that will be, but I know as things take a turn for the worse I will need help.
It seems reading between the lines there isn’t much financial help which seems so unfair when we have worked all our lives, paid all our taxes/national health subscriptions, never ever been out of work either. I should probably research these topics though at our age I can’t guarantee understanding it all.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I am totally confused by all the abbreviations

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
OMG! Reading all these shares has put the fear of God into me. £7000 a month. How on earth do people afford to pay that? I am totally confused by all the abbreviations and have not as yet gone down the road for carers as at the moment I am managing by myself albeit at times very stressful as I am no spring chicken. I want to look after my husband as long as I can however long that will be, but I know as things take a turn for the worse I will need help.
It seems reading between the lines there isn’t much financial help which seems so unfair when we have worked all our lives, paid all our taxes/national health subscriptions, never ever been out of work either. I should probably research these topics though at our age I can’t guarantee understanding it all.
Don't panic! It is a shock when you first discover the cost of care homes but £7000 per month is a lot and would only apply to either a very posh place or to somewhere that offers the extra staff/security/special care, etc. needed for 117 aftercare.

All the abbreviations can be confusing too but you'll soon pick things up. There's a very good thread somewhere which lists them all - I hope one of the hosts will give you a link.

Do read up about funding and who pays for care. It's also wise to set up Power of Attorney and separate your bank accounts too, so that it is clear which monies are his and which are yours. (Only his savings are counted in an assessment and the house would be disregarded while you are living there, even if he moves to a care home.)

Whatever questions you have, just ask, and maybe start your own thread! There's always someone here who has been in a similar situation and can advise.