1 Year On

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
A year on from diagnosis and I'm looking out the office window as it pours with rain, which I've had to travel to work in in my powerchair and gotten drenched.

I'm thinking about how 3 weeks on Friday I'll be back on the road again and how it can't come soon enough. On March 3rd I take delivery of my brand new Volvo, my 40th birthday treat to myself.

Last March, following my diagnosis, the DVLA took my license away without any assessment of my driving whatsoever. Following complaints by other people I also made one and finally had an assessment in November which led to me being given back my license.

Of course I'd prefer if they'd done their job properly in the first place and I'd not have had to spend almost a year relying on my powerchair and my partner picking me up to take me to hers (it's a 35 mile journey each way) on weekends. I'd also rather not have had to use trains every Tuesday to get to college or sometimes to my partner's, but it has been an interesting experience. I guess.

I know at some point I'll have to give up driving for good, and that'll be a sad day(which I thought I'd already had), but hopefully that will be a long way off yet.

So, I have hope. I'm a little confused about why I wrote this but I think that's the point - having hope.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Wishing you many happy hours behind the wheel of your new Volvo.

You have got round the inconvenience of not driving well, determination is a big part of your makeup. Enjoy.

Oh, and happy 40th:)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Indeed, you have shown a remarkable determination and resiliance Dan. A lot of able-bodied people would have given up on the journeys you've been making, had they not been able to drive. So well done - and happy birthday.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
It is appalling that you have had your licence revoked without assessment. I am glad you were successful in your assessment and I hope you enjoy your Volvo.

I appreciate your predicament as my daughter hasn't got her licence at the moment and has to rely on public transport for everything, she has a medical condition.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Well done Dan, on the fight back and recovery. It's inspiring. You're obviously a very determined person and hopefully this will be an asset in dealing with everything.