1 Month

Irish_Lisa

Feb 24, 2007
N.Ireland
Tonight we have granddad's month's mind church service, it's a Catholic thing for those of you that don't know. For some reason I'm strangely nervous about this. The emotions aren't as raw as they were 4 weeks ago but it's still not easy and I'm worried that this service will bring me back to 4 weeks ago. I guess there's no point worrying about it, I won't know how I feel until it's happening and I should really use the opportunity to look back and remember granddad with a smile instead of shedding tears.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Irish_Lisa said:
Tonight we have granddad's month's mind church service, it's a Catholic thing for those of you that don't know.

Hi Lisa

That's a new one on me. Could you tell us more about it? I have a Catholic DIL, but I don't remember anything like that when her father died.

I don't think you should worry about it. The name suggests it's a memorial service, and that will be a lovely opportunity to say goodbye again, now the initial nombness is over. Don't worry if you cry, I think they'll be different tears from those you shed at the funeral.

Love and hugs,

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I'd never heard of it either. Lovely idea - there is a description in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Month's_Mind

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I like the idea too. I haven`t found it in Wikipedia,yet, but it makes me think of a service to thank people for condolences and sympathy, one month on.
Hope it goes well foir you Lisa. It`s OK to cry.
With love

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I hope it was OK and you found comfort in it Lisa. It was also something I hadn't heard of, although I'm Catholic born and bred (admittedly of the lapsed variety!) Bruce's link was very informative and it appears to be something that goes way back but surviving still in Ireland. Never heard of it here in Liverpool and there is a lot of people of Irish descent here, myself included.

Irish_Lisa

Feb 24, 2007
N.Ireland
Aye it's something that is still very much alive over here in Ireland & I think it's quite a nice idea. Brucie's link basically hit the nail on the head, it's a time to remember granddad (and I guess say goodbye once more when emotions aren't so raw). It also gives people the opportunity to offer condolescences if they missed the wake or funeral, gives family the chance to thank everybody and of course it gives family the opportunity to get together after the service, eat, drink and remember granddad once again.
There were a few tears but it went better than I expected, I was able to think about him, smile, and know that he's happy where he is now, whereas before all I could think about was my loss.
Thanks for all the lovely wee messages folks. :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Lisa, I`m so pleased it went well for you. It`s a lovely idea and it sounds as if it helped you.
With love

Irish_Lisa

Feb 24, 2007
N.Ireland
It definitely helped Sylvia, it gave me some strength to see that although we all miss him like mad and still struggle from day to day, we all got through the worst part and can still smile amongst each other. :)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Irish_Lisa said:
, I was able to think about him, smile, and know that he's happy where he is now, whereas before all I could think about was my loss.
:)

So glad you found it comforting Lisa. It sounds such a good idea, I wish we had something like it over here.

Keep smiling, lassie, your granddad would want that.

Love,