Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ricci1003 View Post
    I'm wondering how long it took for your wish to be granted. The implicit dilemma for us and others is that if one applies and the request is denied, for whatever just or unjust reason, then going ahead with the plan could lead to a court order to kidnap and extradite the vulnerable person regardless of whether it was in their best interest? There remains the increasing risk for SS of foreign authorities declining to intervene though. Due to bad publicity reported abroad.
    Well in my own case it took around seven months to get sorted. There had to be a Best Interests Meeting of course. I had to get POA for Health and Welfare. Mum was able to express her opinion too, which helped. Then I had to prove that I would be able to provide the same level of care that Mum was receiving in a CH environment. The DoLs team were on board and only issued short-term DoLs. I think the initial one was for 7 or 14 days and thereafter for a month at a time. But a DoLs can be "lifted" at any time, pending satisfying the powers that be.

Where is your Mum living now and what are you trying to achieve? Are you living overseas and want to move your Mum abroad to live with you? I'm not clear exactly what's going on, sorry!

Im not sure I know whats going on either.
    I feel like the bits that would have explained things have been left out.
    Learning to sing in a cage

I was looking at another thread yesterday when I noticed that Ricci1003 had posted something that might 'fill in the gaps' here:

"Implementing a care package for my mum took SS 8 weeks in GB. Even though she had paid taxes there for 45 years. Moving to Denmark where she had not paid tax nor resided a care package took 2 weeks to be implemented!"

So it seems that the relative is safe in Denmark. Unless there is another relative stuck in the UK system....that would be unlucky.

Yes the relative moved to DK with me and has been safe. We departed on 24th Dec, she stayed with me in my flat. On 4th Jan local authority offices reopened. We made a 20 min walk in -6 °c to International Citizens House and took a number. We had to wait about 40 minutes before being ushered into an office to submit our various documents, then told to wait in the waiting room again. We were ushered into a different office and mum was asked for proof of self funding. We retur ned to the waiting room and wereusheredushered int

...Were ushered into a 3rd office where mum was welcomed as a resident in denmark and given confirmation of this plus a free ticket to visit the theatre. So within 2 hrs she got her residence permission, the appointed GP of her choice, a national ID number and health card with free healthcare. Within 3 days she had a bank account opened here. Arranged simply on the phone. No forms were ever filled in and she got a debit card and iban number immediately so money from her accounts in GB could be transferred and within 2 weeks a care package was implemented and carers began visiting every morning without charge. They would even have visited in the evenings if needed but I didn't feel it was necessary. Within 3 months she got care home placement just 4 minutes bike ride away from my flat. She got a self contained flat complete with electric bed, fridge and lake view and 24 hr care with meals. All for about £500 per month!
    £500, not £5000.

I was given a key card to swipe myself into the building at any time of day or night as needed. The first few nights it was acceptable for me to bring my foam mattress and sleep on the floor to prevent mum being distressed. Thereafter I could visit for as many hours as I wanted daily. staff have been friendly and accommodating.

Power of attorney was also sort and granted also for free without any hassle or court of 'protection'.

....Wonderful, I know where I'm off to when my time of need comes.
    Good luck for the future.
    Maureen.x.

“You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." said Christopher Robin to Pooh. ( AA Milne)

Mum had otherwise no connection to DK. Even our being related wasn't a qualification. What the situation will be after Brexit may be a slightly different matter. Mum was self funding, but even if she'd had to pay for carers and GP consultations and hospital admissions she'd still be far better off.
    I forgot to mention that everyone pays for their medicines here, but in my mum's case we continued getting them from GB. Had she had to pay they would only have cost about £70 per month for 6 kinds Inc those for dementia.

Quote Originally Posted by ricci1003 View Post
    Mum had otherwise no connection to DK.....
    DK is Denmark?

Too many abbreviations on this site for me, not my strongest point.

Sounds like another person who is going to be used as a bargaining chip in the Brexit negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by oilovlam View Post
    Too many abbreviations on this site for me, not my strongest point.
    https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...g-Point-Jargon

T&C's
    How others interpret my posts is entirely beyond my control, however non are meant as a personal slight.............................Unless of course expressly stated

PeteR, thanks for the link. I have seen it before but could never find it when I needed it. I'm surprised that it isn't pinned to every page on the forum because abbreviations seem to be heavily used here. I have now pinned it to the toolbar on my browser.

Cannot see DK in the list, so I presume DK is Denmark.
    Last edited by Chemmy; 05-03-2017 at 01:51 PM. Reason: to conform to t&cs

Yes DK is Denmark in this case. The lady had moved to Denmark to be near her family.
    Maureen.x.

“You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." said Christopher Robin to Pooh. ( AA Milne)