Times they are a changing

Just an update on my Alzheimer's, recently I found it quite distressing that I no longer recognise one of our local Calendar news readers. Well that doesn't really matter you may think, but you would be wrong!
    I have (known her) for years, watched her from the start of her career as a young news reader. Watched her blossom as a new mum, watched her fight breast cancer, run for cancer charity to raise funds despite having it herself.
    Just over a week ago I switched my local Calendar news on and no longer recognised that so familiar friendly face, over a few days I came to realise that it's possible and indeed is, still the same person! And no she has not had (work done) i.e. Face lift or similar, I still occasionally catch a brief sight of that familiar friend face, but then it's gone, replaced by the stranger!!
    There is a lot going on here at the moment, lots of different people deciding what's best for myself and Joy, to be fair they are kind and considerate and I will quite possibly enjoy going into respite care.
    There is one just round the corner that I know my friend, with vascular dementia went too for respite, the staff were very good, Joy sometimes saw her being taken out, fingers and toenails painted full of joy at being pampered for the day.
    For me at the moment it's all just strange and unknown and a little frightening

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Jesus its a ***** of a condition,slowly knowing your brain is leaving
    My Dad had it for about 6 years,had to put him in longterm 'care'
    I always remember one day when we were walking,he said to me "im losing my mind etc" ,i told him yes he was slowly and that i would mind him and not to panic,first time we hugged in years then.I have no advice really but thinking of you and hope future wont be too unsettling.

Hello Jeanie

I don`t know which is worse....to be or not to be aware of what is happening.

Perhaps a spell in respite will do you good, a change of scene, distractions, the things not supposed to be helpful for people with dementia might just be a breath of fresh air for you.

With so much going on, even if you know it`s well meant, some space might help.

I remember my husband`s fear. He used to ask what was happening to his brain.

Sylvia

Former Carer

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me

Hi Jeanie

I read your other thread and found it very moving.

So often carers post about their concerns for the welfare of the person in their care.

It both moved and jolted me reading the very same concerns from your perspective, for your daughter, your carer.

My mum can no longer express those concerns. But she would if she could. And did when she could in the past.

I do hope respite is a positive experience for you. I hope it gives both you and your daughter some sense of being in control making joint decisions, of being supported and some peace of mind.

Please keep posting. X

Hi Jeanie, I do believe your diet is important and Raw Coconut oil seems to be beneficial
    I guess you know all that anyway..all the best with this.

Thankful for replies, it does help too both post on here and read others posts.
    Yes knowing so much is a double edged sword!
    It may be a while before we know about respite and will probably be just a day or part of a day to begin with.
    We mostly cope with living each day as it comes, Joy says she has plan A followed by B and C for each day as it comes depending how I am!
    It knocked me for six when she told me she felt trapped!
    We can only take things a day at a time, for the first time the other day I felt I just don't want too be here anymore, it did pass and today has been a good day that we have spent in the garden, sun was shining

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point