Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessbow View Post
    You would probably get your rooms cheaper in your hotel if you block booked then for 365 days a year, and guaranteed you'd pay for them, regardless of them being occupied. The hotel guarantees its income so can afford to do it a bit cheaper. Its basically what the authorities do .They are onto a good thing, because its rare that a room is unoccupied
    The sad thing is you would have the choice between accepting or refusing to do business with the London hotel - that's the nature of the open market. If you had knowledge that you were paying considerably extra, say between 30-50% more (sorry if those aren't the right figures) for nothing in return for yourself but to subsidise block bookings in the many hundreds of London hotels you could find one that looked like better value for money, and failing all that decide you weren't going to stay in a hotel!

PWD needing a care home don't have the same wide luxury of choice as firstly they need a carehome, secondly their particular needs might narrow down choice, thirdly, maybe proximity to their family. So I'm reality there may be less than a handful to choose from, all treating self funders in the same way. It's contrary to the usual ways of a free market competitive economy for one customer to be forced to subsidise another with no choice, so why do dementia sufferers, out of all other customers in all other businesses in the U.K. today have to do this? Because they've got dementia and their carers are exhausted and I can't remember it having been discussed at PMQT.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_31 View Post
    The sad thing is you would have the choice between accepting or refusing to do business with the London hotel - that's the nature of the open market. If you had knowledge that you were paying considerably extra, say between 30-50% more (sorry if those aren't the right figures) for nothing in return for yourself but to subsidise block bookings in the many hundreds of London hotels you could find one that looked like better value for money, and failing all that decide you weren't going to stay in a hotel!

PWD needing a care home don't have the same wide luxury of choice as firstly they need a carehome, secondly their particular needs might narrow down choice, thirdly, maybe proximity to their family. So I'm reality there may be less than a handful to choose from, all treating self funders in the same way. It's contrary to the usual ways of a free market competitive economy for one customer to be forced to subsidise another with no choice, so why do dementia sufferers, out of all other customers in all other businesses in the U.K. today have to do this? Because they've got dementia and their carers are exhausted and I can't remember it having been discussed at PMQT.
    It is sadly what happens when you let the market operate. It does happen in other situations that some customers subsidise others: gas/electricity prices are based on the premise that those who switch deals regularly get lower prices because those on the standard tariffs are paying more, for instance. But I agree with you that this is a siutuation where 'customers' don't have much 'market power' and that choice is often more apparent than real given the constraints on most families of finding a suitable home for their relative.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" -John Lennon ('Beautiful Boy')